How do I discipline my 7 year old daughter?

Her behavior over the past couple years has been getting worse and worse. I have tried so many different things to get her to mind. Its always the same stuff that she is doing wrong. At school, she will not sit still in her seat or quit talking when she is not supposed to. Several days ago, she was talking in class and got in trouble, she threw a fit and acted like she was going to stab her throat and said she wanted God to come down and kill her. That is the first time she has ever done anything that drastic. She does have a problem about throwing fits when she doesn't get her way. She is now seeing a therapist and may have ADHD or some type of mood disorder is what they say. I would like to hear other peoples opinions on this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I also have a 7 yr. old dd with the same behavior patterns. I feel like I'm at my wits end. I've tried everything. My dh and I have recently began trying to teach her more responsibility, thinking perhaps that's what she needs. We've been taking a toy out of her room every time she repeats a behavior that she knows not to do. She has very little left in her room. She has opportunities to earn them back, one at a time, by helping out with laundry, helping her sister clean her room, etc. So far, I have seen an improvement in her behavior. As far as school behavior goes, my dd does the same thing I'm hoping the behavior patterns at home will transfer to her behavior at school.
    Anonymous

• maybe shes bored?doesnt like her teacher? depressed? talk to the therapist, and see what they have to say.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• sounds like my little boy, I finally gave in and gave him adhd meds, and everything has improved. Grades, sitting still, listening, and staying focused. Something that I was so strongly against was actually a good idea.
    jeepwranglrbabe

Answer by jeepwranglrbabe at 9:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Corinthians 13:4 - Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud.
    Noah8Grace8litt

Answer by Noah8Grace8litt at 10:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2010