is she ok to be born now and come home right away?

ok so i am 33 weeks and 3 days pregnent and on bed rest for the past week. i have been given the staroids to mature her lungs she is mesuring about a week to 2 weeks bigger than she should. she is broken 4 lbs. all of this was as of a week ago at the hospital. i am on bed rest because i am about 1 cm dialated and atleast 50% effaced and having contractions that are regular for an hr than go away for hrs than come back and are irregular than i go back to none than they get regular. if i went in to labor now would she be ok and be able to come home with us right away ?

missyad

Asked by missyad at 1:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Just depends on how healthy she is when she is born. She is still premie and may have to stay in the NICU until her actual due date. If she is breathing, eating, and gaining weight she would possible come home shortly after she was born, but you never know. My son was born at 33 weeks and he spent 8 weeks in the NICU but he only weighed 3lbs and had to be fed with a feeding tube and had horrible jaundice. He was allowed to come home after he started breathing on his one without any decells in his heart rate, weighed over 5lbs, and was able to eat on his own. Good luck I wish you and your baby the best!
    Anonymous

• She probably wouldn't have any major health problems but I don't know if she'd be able to come home with you. Probably not... my son was born at 34 weeks and had to spend 10 days in the NICU ... he didn't have any major health problems, they just wanted to keep an eye on him... and he was having a little trouble eating and breathing at the same time.
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• It's unlikely she will come home right away but I delivered my son at 34 weeks and he had the steriod shots. He was in the NICU for a week and 3 days.
    pageantgirl3

Answer by pageantgirl3 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My friend's wife gave birth at 34 weeks. Their daughter was able to come home after a month in the NICU, two weeks earlier than they were originally told. She also had jaundice and had to be fed through a tube. She weighed a little under 5lbs when she was born. She is 15 1/2 months old now and developmentally is a behind my daughter who was born full term two weeks later. The longer your baby stays inside of you the healthier she'll be. Best of luck.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• There is no way that at that age and that size that she would go home with you right away. Your baby will be spending time in the NNICU.
    Anonymous

• it's very hard to tell. she could be perfectly healthy but most likely she would have some initial problems and spend a good deal of time (2 weeks?) in the NICU. best wishes!!!! everyday counts at this point :)
    Anonymous

• Be prepared for some time in the NICU. If you can hang on for at least 3 more weeks chances are much better she will get to leave the hospital when you do. GL!
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I agree that you should be prepared for her to spend some time in the NICU. I can't say for sure how long but it's pretty much standard procedure for a preemie to spend some time in the NICU especially that early. And even if they estimate she's 4 lbs....she could be much smaller or bigger. It's just an estimate. They told me that my daughter was going to be almost 10 lbs and she came out 7lbs 11oz. They told my cousin she would be having a 6 pounder and her son was almost 11 lbs. There's no way to say for sure how big a baby is until it is born. And even given steroids, she could still have some trouble breathing...they don't always do what's needed. Some babies who go to term will still have respiratory issues. I can say with confidence however that she will not be going home right away, but don't be alarmed...time in the NICU is good for preemies, they will make sure she is health when she does go home.
    nessani28

Answer by nessani28 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Most babies can't suck well enough to eat until 35 weeks. So until the baby can eat, retain their body temperature, and gain weight he/she won't be coming home.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• As a general rule, babies born before 36-37 weeks spend time in the NICU, and won't be going home when you are released.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 4:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2010