What would you think if your 8 year old told you the bus driver sat with her and tickled her while parked at the school

babymomma1979

Asked by babymomma1979 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think I would be marching up to that school and reporting it.
    pageantgirl3

Answer by pageantgirl3 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I would be concerned. I would absolutely ask her for more details and I'd go file a complaint at the school asap. At the very least.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 1:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• well ask her for full details. be cautious and careful. Ask her while she was still sitting there. if she was sadly sitting there and he tried to cheer her up thats different. but if he called her forward, and sat with her, have a talk with her or a school staff member to watch him....u cant be too careful in these cases.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Why were they parked at the school?! I live adjacent to a well-traveled school bus route/stop, and the kids are never sitting/waiting idly on the bus--they get on, they get off! Why would your daughter be sitting and waiting for any length of time without other children/teachers or parents present?! Something is not right!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• The first 3 answers gave you advice, but your question asks what would we think. To answer your question, I'd think she was sexually asaulted in some way. Now the thing to do is find out how far it went and if this was the first time.

I was a CPS case worker and during our training they spent an extensive amount of time teaching us how to question children. You have to be extra careful to not manipulate their answers in any way. If you seem shocked, frightened, or upset she will not be completely honest about what happened. You also must be very careful about how you word things and be sure you ask general open ended questions so you aren't acidentally putting words in her mouth.

In an even tone, not sounding happy but also not sounding concerned, ask her what she means by tickle? Get one of her dolls and ask her to show you where he tickled her. Ask if he has tickled her or any of the other kids before. (cont'd)
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I would not ask her for more details. But I am trained in this area so for me it would be second nature. I would make a report to the law enforcement agency, schedule for her to have a forensic interview with the local children's advocacy center, and support her that what the driver did (tickling or otherwise) was not appropriate. Then I would drive my child to school. Tell the principal and the transportation department what occurred.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• If my gut feeling is right and he did abuse her to some degree, step 1 is to call the police. Step 2 would be to contact the school. You want to speak with the principal and be sure you inform him that you have already contacted the police.

I really wish you the best on this. If this was the first time it happened, then he probably didn't get very far with her. Molestors use a grooming phase in which they slowly gain a child's trust and touch them with increasing intimacy with each encounter. If they were to immediately start with full on sexual contact with the first incident, children would be more likely to give full details about the experience because it would be such a shock they'd know the grown up did something terribly wrong. When molestors slowly intensify their level of contact, it confuses kids and they're less likely to recognize how wrong the grown up was.

Please forgive any typoes, holding my baby now.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• You didnt share much info. Is the bus driver a male or female? Was she upset that day maybe and the bus driver was trying to cheer her up? and why was your 8 year old all alone on this bus?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• 1)dr visit or ER immediately to make sure nothing else happenes
    2)the police would be called
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• yup id be going to the school,they have camras on the bus
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2010