How can i get people to stop giving my kids presents that are not allowed in my house?

Spongebob, bratz, and Hannah montana are completely banned in my house. Everyone in my family knows this, my side respects this but my sil, who is also my dd godmother, keeps buying bratz dolls or spongebob games for my dd. How can i ask her to stop without causing a riot? We are a hispanic family so things like this can cause a big stir. What i have been doing is re-gifting some of the stuff to other kids whose parents allow these characters and just buying my dd a replacement.

mami2emily

Asked by mami2emily at 2:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• People, she's not asking for validation as to why these toys aren't allowed in her house. That's not the point. If they're not allowed, those giving the gifts should be respectful of your wishes. I'd tell your SIL, again, respectfully, that although you appreciate that she is buying your daughter gifts, that you don't want her buying (fill in the blank) anymore. I like the PP suggestion of a gift card.

Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• What is so wrong with Hannah Montana? I understand the other two. Not HM. Anyway, I'd just talk to her.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I'd just as nicely as possible say please choose something else. We don't like these characters, but we appreciate how you think of your goddaughter so much.
    Anonymous

• Before major gift giving holidays just say that in our house we dont like for *childs name* to play with toys of this nature. Please avoid giving her these, thanks for your help. If its family they should understand and respect your wishes. if its random friends, the fact they give you anything is nice!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I would simply request gift cards to your daughter's favorite store and say I'd like for her to start learning how to save and spend her money on the things she wants. Then when your family membersask you (or her) what she bought with their gift, she can show them--it's a win-win for everyone!

Or just take the gifts, and put them in a closet to be given to others as "free" birthday presents when the occasions arise! OR you could sell them on Ebay! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I would donate them. I would just write a note on the next party invitation, or on facebook, or whatever...very casual. Friends: I do not agree with spongebob, bratz, or Hannah Montana. When we come across those items we will donate them to families less fortunate and who do not have the same thoughts about these characters. Then they know. Easy and done with. You don't have to make a big deal but you can tactfully put it out there.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• what is wrong with these? My DD is almost 5 and she loves Hannah Montana (more cause she sings and my DD loves music) spongbob I don't see nothing wrong with him either I didn't want my children watching it cause it was annoying lol, but they do I am getting better with it lol. My mom has bought my oldest Spongbob. Now bratz I can understand. I don't like batz not sure why maybe cause all the makeup and the way they dress, but I don't like them, but again my oldest has bratz stuff. She got her first bratz thing the christmas before this past one it was a bratz gitar then she got 2 bratz barbies and a bratz horse last birthday all of this was from my aunt. But she was like 3 at that time so I couldn't really take her toys away after someone gives them to her. Plus if I do that my DD is a tattle tale and would go tell my Aunt mommy gave my bratz stuff away lol. So I ended up letting her have them, just I wont buy them
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I'm with you on this one. The same items are banned in my home as well. One day my MIL baby sat while I had a dr appt and when I came home she was letting my 3 year old watch sponge bob. I was not happy. I explained to my MIL that sponge bob is not allowed in my house and I told her why I do not approve of that show or even that channel for my toddlers and told her what channels were acceptable. She tried to argue and I just reminded her that I'm the mom. I decide what shows and toys are acceptable for MY children. When she decides to get them something I've told her isn't acceptable, then I donate it and I let her know when we receive the give "oh, isn't that a cute sponge boy toy? someone little kid at the salvation army is really going to enjoy that." End of story. I don't make a huge fuss. I just donate it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• This mom does not have to validate why she has chosen to forbid these items. She is the mom. If she doesn't want her daughter to have Hannah Montana, so be it. Don't ask for her reasoning. It's not your place to tell this mom what toys her child should play with. Her question was about how to handle the situation, not whether or not her rules are ok.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• If you've already told her your feelings and she is ignoring it, then I'd just say thanks and get rid of the toys. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. If your kids are like mine, they already get more stuff than they need anyway. I don't think it's worth starting a big family fued over.

I wouldn't re-gift toys that I didn't find appropriate for my own kids; that just seems a little tacky to me (my kid is too good for this crap, but maybe your kid would like it). I also wouldn't start pushing people into buying giftcards - it's fine to offer the suggestion if asked, but otherwise just leave it alone.
    Anonymous