harsh?

i told my son, who is 3 and half, he could go to chuck e cheese with his cousins but he first has to take a nap. i wanted him to nap from 1 to 3 and then go to chuck e at 3:30. well its past 2 and he is still awake. its too late to take a nap now so i told him he will not go. my dh thinks i'm being too harsh. should i stick to my guns and not let him go? is a 3 and a half year old old enough to understand no nap no chuck e? or should i listen to dh and let him go anyways?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Definitely not being too harsh. He's not too young to understand that his actions have consequences. Actually, he's at just the age where he's going to really be testing you to see what he can get away with, what you'll fold on. And you do have to pick your battles, but I think you're doing the right thing.
    Anonymous

• He's most definitely old enough to understand that actions have consequences. No nap, no Chuck E Cheese. If you give into him, next time, he'll push the boundaries even further. Stick to your guns.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Well does he always take a nap? Did you say this right befor nap time?? cause I know if I would say anything about Chuck E Cheese to my kids they would be bouncing off the walls. This is why I dont mention anything will we are getting ready to walk out the door. But Since you did say it I would say you cant go otherwise you are not following threw.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• you can't expect a kid to sleep if they aren't tired love...especially if he's excited you can't snap your fingers and make him sleepy...besides chuck e cheese would probably tire him out so he'd sleep through the night...i think it is harsh...can you fall asleep if you're not tired?
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• he is 3. yeah too harsh. 3 year old dont understand the type of logic you are explaining
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• At three and a half, he can at least understand cause and effect. He will also, as previously stated, be testing the limits you have set. Granted, if he isn't tired, he is unlikely to fall asleep, but he can at least have quiet time in his room on his bed for that allotted space of time. Stick your guns, you aren't being harsh, just setting boundaries.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AGREE
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Stick to your guns! He is old enough to understand cause & effect.
    Anonymous

• Yes, he is old enough to understand cause and effect, but sleep is one of those things that you can't always force. If I said anything about chuck e cheese to my 3 year old, then there would be no sleep for him. He'd be too amped up just for the utterance of those words. Ha ha! I think it might be a little too harsh to not let him go, unless he's just a giant grouch since he didn't nap.
    mom2ben

Answer by mom2ben at 4:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• If you let him go, then you are breaking a promise.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2010