Is learning to sew yourself easy?

I'm getting an older sewing machine from my grandmother and I want to learn to sew SOOOO bad! But we don't have alot of money so I can't take the classes that are offered around here. Did anybody teach themselves how to sew? Was it really hard?

pink_blue0810

Asked by pink_blue0810 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I did. The trick is knowing your machine well - generally speaking the older ones are more basic and therefore less complicated. If you don't have a manual I would look online to fine one. I'm betting you tube has some tuts as well on the basic techniques. I started out making simple things like table cloths, pillowcases, curtains. - just your basic turn raw edge of fabric and stitch. Of course you can get more complicated looks with these basic household items but you'll experiment with time I'm sure. For me the sewing is easy - it's reading patterns that is difficult for me. I find tutorials online for my sewing projects - people who have written their own step by step instructions on sewing something. You can find some free and others you have to pay for. Good luck!
    MaxLover

Answer by MaxLover at 4:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Join 1 of the sewing groups here on line...sew trendy, or sewing 4 beginners, & go to the library & get some books for beginners. Also check your PBS channels for Sewing With Nancy (some of her shows are on the internet) Martha's Sewing Room, & America Sews, they give some great instructional shows. My favorite sewing magazine for beginners is Sew Savvy.

As for patterns, generally speaking McCall's & Simplicity are easier to understand than Vogue or Butterick. 1 of them also has Sewing for Dummies patterns that are really easy to follow. My favorite are the Kwik Sew Patterns & books, they have the best techniques for garment sewing. They tend to be more expensive, but you may find the books in a used book store, & at garage sales too.

If you have friends that sew, see if they'll work on a project with you. I do this all the time with my friends. See if there are any sewing clubs in your area, & quilt clubs are great too.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• what Masxlover said, is good. I agree.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:26 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I taught myself to sew years ago after my mom died. She was going to show me how to use her sewing machine to make quilts but died before she got the chance so I got out the manual to figure out how to thread the thing and then got out some of her quilting books and just figured it out. A couple years later I made Halloween costumes for the kids (clown dresses with bloomers and a hat for the girls and a cowboy duster for my son). People were (and still are) shocked to find out I made them myself and didn't buy them. They weren't perfect (seems were off and stuff) but they were just costumes so I didn't care.
    I've limited my sewing to costumes and baby quilts. I'm good at just winging things and figuring stuff out as I go. I taught myself to knit and crochet, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I taught my BFF the basics of how to use a machine in about 10 minutes. All the rest is just practice and reading instructions with your pattern.
    you can also find youtube videos or online tutorials for just about anything you may want to do.
    Anonymous

• I taught myself by using some books actually I got at Goodwill and some garage sales. Once I figured out how to read the language and decipher what they meant to my old sewing machine -It was fun. I got a basic How to sew book and then a few on quilting and basic child clothes/toys. good luck!
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I started doing hand sewing and minor machine sewing by myself, but it was my MIL who helped me start learning patterns and stuff.
    You can do it with determination...and the internet!
    Anonymous

• go to youtube.com and find videos on sweing basics. its a great and easy way to learn because you can pause rewind or even find a new video to help when you are stuck. also check with local area elderly care facilities and activity centers, alot of times there are women there who would LOVE to sit down and teach you to sew, they would just love that. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:54 AM on Mar. 13, 2010