How do I balance working and breastfeeding?

I work an hourly paid job meaning little to no room for comfort. No privacy. I work with all guys, and 12 hour night shift. How am I going to do this?

ihadadaddysgirl

Asked by ihadadaddysgirl at 4:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lots of pumping would have been my first thought...but i'm not sure. Maybe breastfeeding in the day and formula at night? :/
    Anonymous

• You must get a break. Some women pump in their car during lunch and breaks, or in the ladies room if an office isn't available. When do you get breaks?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• How old is your little one? What is your break schedule like? Do you have a good pump?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• What state do you live in? Some states require employers to provide a place and breaks to pump? Some good info on making it work at Pumping 9 to 5

Also see Working Without Pumping

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Some states have laws so look up the laws in your state. All states have a minimum number of breaks that you get and I would just pump in the bathroom or car if need be during those times and pump as often as you can at home. If you cannot pump enough giving some formula is not bad, but try to pump at home if need be. I know women who gave formula and didn't pump at all while at work and still nursed at home. Once my daughter was 11 months she wouldn't take a bottle while I was at work at all and only nursed while I was home. I slowly dropped one pump session at a time and she is still nursing at 32 months old so obviously not a supply issue doing that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2010