To circumsize or not?

I would like to know the pros and cons of circumsize and not circumsizing. I dont care about the religous aspect of it however, so please none of those comments. I am preggers with my 3rd and we are pretty sure that its a boy. I am just weighing my options.

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 4:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Why fix what isn't broken? It's an unnecessary cosmetic surgery. Simply teach your son proper hygiene and it shouldn't be an issue.
    Anonymous

• there is a lot of online information you can research just by googling.
    pros-will look more like daddy if daddy is circ , some folks think that circed children run less of a risk of being teased in school if they look like everyone else, but by the time our kids now hit that age cir will only be about 50% so it wont really matter, also some folks think that there is a higher risk of penile cancer associated with intact penises(but we dont cut off little girl breast tissue keep in mind) and then the cleanliness aspect. some moms think it is cleaner or easier to keep clean.

each mom kinda has to decide for herself. for me, there are 50 thousand nerve endings in the foreskin. i see that there as enough cause to let my son choose for himself. its HIS bodypart. as long as he is old enough to research and know what it is he wants, then it wil be his choice. as far as cleaning goes? we teach our children to clean themselves
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I can tell you that my son is intact, and has never had any problems. And that there's no extra work until the child is old enough that the foreskin retracts on its own, and even then, it's just a quick pull back and rinse in the bath or shower. I don't feel that it's a good thing to do to a baby. If you have any specific questions, let me know.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• cont
    boy or girl. why an intact penis should prevent a boy from cleaning is beyond me. if a labia doesnt prevent a girl. the cancer risk is minimal and less than the risk of a girl developing breast cancer someday.
    those are just my thoughts.
    research for yourself momma and make a decision based not on the hysterics of cafemom but on actual research and knowledge
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• The Case Against Circumcision
    http://www.mothersagainstcirc.org/fleiss.html

The foreskin is a functional part of the male sex organ that fufuills protective and pleasure functions.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My husband is 41 and not circ'd...never had an infection or a UTI. My BIL is 46 and not circ'd and also has never had health issues. Some say you need to circ so they don't get infections. That's just silly here in a developed nation we know how to keep clean and infection just isn't a real issue. The foreskin actually produces a natural antibacterial lubricant that protects the penis. My husband also says that the foreskin helps protect the head of the penis from friction caused by clothing. My son is 20 months old and uncirc'd. He's never had an issue.

The only religious reason for circ is if you're Jewish. God only had the Jews to circs and that was only in the Old Testament. There are actually more religious reasons NOT to circ because it could be viewed as mutilation.

CONS: pain & trauma (they are not given a local and are not put to sleep), loss of sensitivity due to losing a little bit of the head
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• my first son was circed because I was young and just thought that's what you were supposed to do.

my second son was not because medicaid had since deemed it cosmetic.

I did some research. It is more work if you DO circ. cleaning and such when they are little. The bad effects are just gross looking, skin bridges and such. And not that I want him off having sex any time soon, but apparently it's more pleasurable for both if he has his foreskin.

never had any problems with it like infection or anything, that people will try to scare you with.

hubby is circed, never had any issues with my son wondering why he looks different.

I honestly believe now that it is all cosmetic, and why would you do that to a baby? If my son decides when he's bigger that he wants circed, sure I'll let him have it done. But I'm leaving all cosmetic surgery decisions up to HIM since it's his body.
    Anonymous

• DH is not circed, if we ever have a son he will not be either. Why put a baby threw that kind of pain in the first place?
    And for those that say "Oh well it's a greater risk for cancer." So is everything nowadays. I mean, should womens' breasts be removed at birth to cut their risk of breast cancer? I think not.
    It's there for a reason and should be left alone.
    Anonymous

• I used to be all for circed now I'm on the fence. I don't think it will make a difference as far as the locker room goes and you can't replace whats gone. I'm glad I didn't have to decide because I think I'm heading towards uncirced but my DH thinks circed.

Anonymous

• we circumsized our son for the whole cleanliness factor... easier to take care of etc. i think most men are nowadays and i cant imagine how weird it would have been when i had sex with my hubby if he wasn't... since i never really thought anyone didn't do it. but it is up to you... i dont think it will do ANY damage to your son physically or emotionally. sheesh. we watched our son get his done and they did local anesthesia and he barely winced... just have him tylenol or something... he healed quickly and is happy now.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2010