Would this make you mad? What would you do or say?

We got a dog for our daughter. I wanted her to learn responsibility by caring for a pet. Later we also got a cat. Well, my husband has taken over. He acts as though the pets are his and only his. He lets the cat into our room when I have asked that it be a pet free zone. He has taken over our daughter's dog. He gets on to her for not doing things right with him but he won't let her do anything. He gets up everyday and feeds them. But when our daughter comes and and asks for him to get up and make her breakfast he says not right now. He will tell her to eat what she wants. So she will have icecream for breakfast. I then get up and feed her. I don't have an issue with being the one to do that but what kind of message does that send her? He will get up for the pets but not her. And why is he being a control freak over them. The dog is supposed to be our daughters. We argue about it and he will just say we should get rid of them..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• op...instead of resolving the problem.
    Anonymous

• Just get rid of them. Well I mean, give them to someone who is'nt going to be weird with them.
    Anonymous

• Op..he doesn't really mean that though. He says that to avoid talking about it. When I have said fine..he makes a big scene and our daughter cries. I don't want to be the mean mommy who gave away the pets.
    Anonymous

• sounds like my SO. i tell him he needs to clean up after himself in the kitchen and he tells me we can just eat microwave meals for dinner then.

try talking to him differently, men are really easy when you figure out to tell them to do things in a way that makes them feel manly and needed, like you couldnt do it better yourself if that makes sense
    Anonymous

• Well it's kinda weird... my daughter got a pet and I was hoping to teach her responsibility too. However, I am the one that feeds the little pooper, and for a couple of years I picked up any "accidents". And I'm sure she got tired of trying because when she'd go to feed him I'd say "no baby, we can't feed him right before we leave, no not right before bed, no, not that etc" and eventually they just stop trying ya know. In some sort of calm way he needs to know to tell her when to feed the critters, and what time to walk them or take them out to potty etc and put it on schedule and tell him it's the only way the kids can learn and he has to let go of them to let her be their "master" or they'll love him more than her.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 5:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I'd be happy as heck he's taking care of them. Kids get bored with pets then the pets suffer. At least your husband is being responsible.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 7:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• That would piss me off that he cares more about feeding the stupid dog over his daughter
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I agree. Get rid of the animals
    Anonymous

• Op...he doesn't care for the pets. He only feeds them in the morning. That is it. They don't get any other care from him but he still controls how our daughter interacts with them. It makes me crazy. I don't want to fight over it. I just want her to take over the pet chores and for him to stop telling her she has to wait to have breakfast but he will get up and feed the pets. BLAH.
    Anonymous

• It takes all of about 5 minutes tops to put food in the bowls... how could a child or person possibly not do that right?
    Would irritate me that he let my kid eat whatever she wanted, including ice cream for breakfast.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2010