What Would You Do If Your 8 Year Old Hit You?

We have been having behavorial issues for awhile and they have just got worse! I finally came to the point where I decided I needed help so I called to school cousler and she directed me to someone who could help me, She set us up with a therpist for my son and parenting help for me. It seems that none of this is helping. He yells at me, he throws things, and tells me what he is gonna do. I have grounded him, did time out , spanked him, and finally removed everything except furntire from his room. But now it has progressed to hitting me, he has also thrown a sock and a shirt at me, I know that seems like no big deal but it was out of anger. As well as sprayed me with a water bottle. I feel like I have done something wrong, I just dont know anymore nothing seems to work! In the end he always ends up with what he wants because I have come to the point that I am tired! Any Help Please!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• wasn't this already asked
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Yes But U couldnt edit to put in the info I needed to add.

Anonymous

• My son is 10 also has had anger issues. Not quite as bad, but he has done the hitting before. Punishments from video games and things he likes usually works, but he still has a very bad temper. We think he may have ADHD as it runs in my family and this is one of the symtoms. Have you looked into that as a possiblity? We have not had our son tested yet.. my husband doesn't want him on meds, and we usually can talk things over with him to calm him down anyway. But your son sounds like he may need more than a therapist. See what a doctor says.
    SherryMalcom

Answer by SherryMalcom at 5:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• The problem is he yells and gets violent and then gets his way. If you have to lock him in his room when he acts that way then do it, but DO NOT EVER give him what he wants because it is easier, he will learn that yelling and violence will not serve him, but if you keep giving in he will use violence for everything, he is testing you and you are failing. DO NOT GIVE HIM WHAT HE WANTS!! Good behavior gets rewards violence gets nothing.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Sorry you are going thru this but one thing sticks out to me and it is this sentence....In the end he always ends up with what he wants because I have come to the point that I am tired!

He knows that he will get his way if he continues to behave badly enough. So if you tell me no and if I scream, cry, and throw things I will frustrate who ever enough they will just give up and give in. This is what you have taught him. You will need to reverse all of that and show him that good behavior gets better rewards. Parenting classes and working with the counselor will help you get there. Keep it up, no matter how bad he behaves, stand your ground. Make a list of things you want improved and take it with you to the sessions. Not only will your son change but you will also change little by little as you lead the way with guidance from the therapist. PM is you would like, I know it is hard.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• In Response to truealaskamom: I dont give him what he wants because its easier, but because there is only so much a person can take! It's a non-stop fight with him, I have 3 kids I can not fight with him all day to get to stay in is room or whatever else. I have done behaviroal charts chore charts. I have taken his wrestling from him, field trips with school, field day at school, his soccer, but the only rsponse is I dont care. I have gotten to the point where I flip out because I have gotten so made at him, and I dont like that. I didnt touch him I just tore his room up bad, flipped the bookcase, bed flipped everything everywhere. This has been going on for so long and even with help it doest seem that it is getting any better. The Dr. whats to try meds, but I dont like the idea of meds so I really dont know!
    Anonymous

• If my 8 year old son even thought about doing something as stupid and disrespectful as this, he'd get his teeth knocked down his throat. I think the problem lies more with you than with your son. If you are letting your son HIT YOU, then you have a serious lack of a spine.
    Anonymous

• ADHD is NOT an excuse for behavior such as this. He needs his butt beaten until he can't sit down for a week, and just enough food, clothes and shelter for survival. After a couple of weeks of sleeping on the floor and wearing the same stinky outfit, he'll get the message.
    Anonymous

• I think it sounds like he might have some mental health problems. Any history in the family?
    Anonymous

• So yall think that spanking a child is the answer? Hitting a child that hit you shows him what? I have spanked my child and it only makes things worse, he throws things hits the wall, and screams and yells even more! Lack of Spine? Really? So if the problem lies with me then tell me what I should do? I should just keep spanking him everyday all day? I want my child to respect me not fear me!
    Anonymous