Do you still want to schedule a c-section, or inducement?

Here is a news story about maternal death and the link of c -sections and inducements.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/moms-risk-10014105

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• high risk pregnancy, cord wrapped around the baby's neck, fetal stress, low amniotic fluid, trauma, etc*****

High risk pregnancy, cord wrapped and low amniotic fluid are not usually reasons for C-section or induction. Fetal distess is GROSSLY overdiagnosed because of continuous fetal monitoring. The problem isn't that moms are CHOOSING these things, it's that doctors are doing them to avoid litigation and for their convenience. They FIND a reason to section moms or induce so they can't get sued and so they can be home for dinner, and most women are either too uneducated about birth or are too scared of the "risks" their doctors quote to them to contest it.

There needs to be a massive, nation-wide effort to reduce doctors pushing these procedures AND a nationwide shift in the power in the doctor/patient relationship (GIVE MOMS THE POWER!!!)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• There is a direct correlation between increases in ice cream sales and death by drowning. Going to stop eating ice cream too?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I don't eat Ice Cream... It comes from cows.

I wouldn't allow a c-section or induction either.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• You apparently didn't watch the news story, because the U.S is behind 3rd world countries in the ability to keep mothers alive.
    Anonymous

• Well, except for celebrities CHOOSING to have c-sections in their 8th month to avoid stretchmarks, and get their 6-pack stomachs back, I don't know ANYONE who had a c-section or induction, just "because!!" And I don;t know of ANY Ob/GYN who gave the mother the option!

In EVERY case, that I am personally aware of, there was a MEDICAL reason for it--high risk pregnancy, cord wrapped around the baby's neck, fetal stress, low amniotic fluid, trauma, etc.!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

That includes popcicles :p
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• lori~ only ONE of the reasons you listed is actually a "Medical emergency" which would warrant a c-section.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Which one would that be?! (In your book)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• NP~ I actually do not eat sweets at all... I like it when my thighs to do say "Excuse me! Pardon me!" to one another as I walk, so i gave sweets up a long time ago... that INCLUDES popsicles :P
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• You have to watch the liberal media and statistics very carefully. No where in that report do they say the RATE of maternal death is increasing. No, they say the numbers are increasing. That is because the population is increasing and there are more women and more births than there were 10 years ago...of course the numbers will have gone up in the past 10 years, but the RATE (% of death compared to the number of births) has not increased.

Don't be sheep and just blindly follow what you hear and read. Just because ABC news says it's so doesn't make it true. They are in business to make money. Sensational stories get viewers and in tern get them more commercial sales.

It's all just a bunch of smoke & mirrors.

And that mom that got blood clots from being in bed 30 hours and never moving? That was her fault. The drs and nurses make you move to prevent that. She just probably didn't want to get up.
    Anonymous