pregnancy after blood clot

I was in the hospital last January, and had two blood clots and a pulmonary embolism. I have been on blood thinners for a year, but should be off of them in about 6 months. I am getting contradictory information as to whether or not I should try to have another child. I have been told by my hematologist that I would have to be on an injected blood thinner during the pregnancy. I don't feel really good about this. My surgeon is telling me that I should never even try again. He won't give me a real clear reason for this. My general practicioner is saying that there are alternatives to taking the blood thinner injections while pregnant, and he doesn't see a problem with it. I really don't know what to do or think, and I am not able to think about this in an unbiased way. I really want to have another baby, but I think I see intellectually that it might not be a good idea. Has anyone else ever been in this situation?

asesnick1

Asked by asesnick1 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Health

• I had a stroke in 1994 when I was 22 due to a blood clot. I was on blood thinners for a while after the switched to an asprin a day therary. I had both of my sons after. (1997 and 2000) I continued taking a childrens asprin daily while pregnant.My doctors didn't think it was a problem being pregnat after but every one is different.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Really! They only had you on children's asprin while you were pregnant? My doctor was telling me that I would have to be on Luvenox shots daily for the first 8 months and Heparin shots twice daily for the last month. I can handle taking a children's asprin everyday.
    asesnick1

Answer by asesnick1 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My sister had a blood clot in her lung after her last pregnancy three years ago, she is due May 31st with a little girl and she is on Luvenox shots DAILY and hates it, but she thinks it's the only way....I don't know either way, I just thought I would share that.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Guess I was lucky. Like I said, evry one is different (and so are the doctors opinons)
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2010