Has anyone been prescribed vicodin when breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes. I was prescribed vicodin after i had my gallbladder removed. The ER doctor told me not to nurse while taking it and to pump and dump. A few days later i had my 6 week exam and my OB said, you can take it while nursing, but i didn't believe him so i called the lactation consultant at my daughters doctor and she said yeah, you can take it and nurse. She said, they never should have told me not to nurse and that i could have really caused issues with my daughter because we were having problems with her nursing anyways. I would talk to your doctor and your childs doctor, but this was my situation.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• yeah first for my c section and then for my gal bladder removal 6 wks later
    Anonymous

• yup, i had to pump and dump til i was no longer taking pain meds
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• You don't pump & dump for vicodin. I was given vicodin after all 3 of my c-sections and I EBF. Dr said it was fine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• The whole concept of pumping and dumping is just BS, your breast do not store vicodin or alcohol, as soon as your liver cleans your body its gone, not any sooner. So if you pump and dump and then breast feed it either was already cleaned up milk you dumped or the milk in your breast still has whatever substance in it. Only giving your liver time matters....and its ok to nurse with vicodin.

Anonymous

• I was and I still nursed. I was hesitant about taking it and took one every couple of days because I was worried even though I was in alot of pain. The doctor said it was fine but the pediatrician told me my DD could have some side effects but my DD didn't get any. There is no need to pump and dump. Vicodin is safe to use while BFing.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Yes, and it is safe as long as it's taken AS DIRECTED or less, no more then what is directed. Of course, as with any medication, watch your baby for any adverse reactions, but in most cases, it's fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Dr. Hale's guide is the authority on drugs and bfing...

Dr. Hale's Please Enter Here

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2010