Blood Pressure Question.

I went to the Dentist the other day & they always take your blood pressure.. But when I left she oddly wrote my blood pressure down on a card for me... IDK anything about blood pressure! So i dont know if she was being nice or trying to gently hint something..
My Blood Pressure was 106/72
My Pulse was 101
Im 26 years old & am over weight (218lbs)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Health

• Your blood pressure is perfectly fine! Normal/average blood pressure is 120/80. It indicates the pressure of your blood on arterial walls when your heart beats (higher number) and in between beats or when the heart "rests." The higher the numebr the more pressure on the walls which can lead to heart disease and related problems.

My blood pressure has ALWAYS been 110/70 (give or take a few points)--even during my pregnancies.

What I find ODD is your pulse! That is abnormally high for having sucha low blood pressure--they tend to correlate with one another. The healthier your heart the less it has to work or beat to pump blood meaning a lower heart rate. Your pulse is more indicative if having just exercised! I think the nurse wrote down the wrong number.

Continued
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Looks fine to me. Normal is below 120/80.
    Anonymous

• Check your pulse yourself.

Take the index and middle fingers of one hand, and place them on the the underside of the wrist of the other hand--about 1 inch below the base of your thumb, and locate your pulse (bend your wrist away from you if you have trouble locating it.

Looking at a clock with a second hand, count the number of beats you feel for 6 SECONDS....then add a zero to that number. THAT is your pulse rate.

An average adult resting pulse is 72 beats per minute. Again, the healthier you are the lower it will be. My resting pulse is around 60 beats per minute.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Well i have a cuff at home (MIL bought me one when i was pregnant lol) and I just took it again.. my pulse was like 62.. maybe it was nerves.. i get anxious @ the dentist.. lol
    thanks ladies!
    Anonymous

• Sometimes your pulse is up if you are nervous and I'm ALWAYS nervous around the dentist. Your blood pressure is great and I think it's wonderful that the dentist is checking. I have never heard of that before. She is probably trying to help her patients take care of themselves. YOU need to know what's normal for you, and getting it checked a few times is the only way YOU will know what's normal.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2010