Food Ideas For Catering Your Own Wedding

We can't really afford a caterer, can but don't want it to set us back. So are there any good food ideas for a diy wedding reception? We are having a very casual beach wedding and want the food to set a family mood.

mama28th

Asked by mama28th at 5:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We had a small wedding and did our food (well, my mom, grandparents, and an aunt did). We had crossaints and sandwich rolls with an assortment of meats, cheeses, and toppings/condiments. We had a pasta and a potato salad. Fruit, veggies, chips, dips, and mixed nuts. It was plenty of food and we had it all out on pretty serving dishes and people served themselves. We had punch, water, and sodas for drinks. And of course we had cake. It was inexpensive and everyone was happy.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My husband and I had a hawaiian luau and we had shish kabobs (total wrong spelling but w/e lol) So they had chicken with bell peppers, pineapple and onions. You marinade them in italian salad dressing and bake them until they are done.
    We also had egg rolls which is ground pork, shredded cabbage, carrots, celery and onions with soy sauce wrapped in the asian wrappers.
    You can do an assortment of salads, like a green toss salad with two kinds of dressing.
    Pasta salad is SO EASY....pasta, cheese cubes, italian dressing, olives, chopped celery, peppers, red onion...
    Fruit and veggie platters with different dips.
    Punches, lemonaides and water

Cake as well. :) Good luck and congrats!!!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 6:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• You want to serve things that can be made ahead and put on ice or over a hot plate. Since you've got the beach, a sea food theme would be nice. A low country boil with sausages and shell fish is easy. You can get large pots that will serve 12-15, fill up the pots with food the night before, set up fires on the beach, transfer the already cooked pots to the fire pit to keep warm or you can cook on site, and have people serve themselves. 100 guests = 10 pots.

White seafood lasagna, salad, and bread is easy to make ahead as well. It can be made ahead and frozen weeks in advance.

Rent the stuff. Party supply rentals are cheap!!! Ask someone in your party to be in charge of it so you can enjoy yourself. Have big plastic tote bins with lids that you can put everything in for clean-up that goes back to the rental place. It'll make disassembling fast.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Obviously I'd go with a seafood menu!

Since it's a DIY wedding....and you want to keep costs low...I'd check out a warehouse club--like Sam's Club or BJ's Wholesale for bulk frozen seafood--like shrimp cocktail, mini quiches, lobster bisque, clam chowder, crabcakes, clams casino (half shell), fruity ice cream, fried clams.

You can buy a series of inexpensive chafing dishes with lids and sternos (flames to keep food warm)

I would then buy fresh sushi, pasta, and shish-kabob skewers and make a bunch of "surf and turf" (seafood and meat) sticks. Don't forget the cake--could be starfish shaped--chocolate dipped strawberries, fruit punch and fun and festive mixed drinks like sangrias, margaritas, mimosas, wine spritzers, etc!

You can buy bulk beach themed decor at larger party and craft stores--including tiki torches, battery operated mini lights, silk flowers, tablecloths, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Pasta is great because you can make a bunch of different kinds and cook it before hand and throw it on heaters, BBQ is also a failry easy one if you are going for a laid back thing, have somebody close to you that wouldn't mind BBQ up some burgers hot dogs, and have chips, potato salad, soda etc, Mexican is also easy to cook before hand and have heated, a taco bar, enchiladas, fajita bar etc. Feel free to PM me I went through this and so did my inlaws so I have lots of ideas and plans to help those out.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I went to a reception that had a wonderful fruit salad. It was my favorite thing on the buffet!

A lady from church made her specialty for my reception...cheese straws...oh yum were they good!

Meatballs are a good choice. You could choose a sauce that compliments the rest of your menu/theme. Sweet and sour, barbecue, etc.

Veggie trays, deli meats, cheeses, crackers and dips are always easy.

Chicken salad is always a crowd pleaser around here. Serve with different breads or crackers or a combo of both.

My MIL and I made the food for my SIL's wedding. One item was cucumber sandwiches. The bread was spread with a mixture made with cream cheese, sour cream, dill weed, lemon juice and sea salt. We used large seedless cucumbers, sliced them and drained them well on paper towels before placing on the bread. They were so good. We got many compliments!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Self Catering Help 
    for the 
    Do-it-Yourself Wedding Reception
    Party or Church Dinner!

Anonymous