Catholic school says kid with gay parents can't come back, thoughts?

BOULDER, Colo. — A Catholic school in Colorado is kicking out a preschooler because the child's parents are lesbians.

The child will not be allowed to re-enroll next year at Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic School. The Denver Archdiocese posted a statement Friday that the parents are "living in open discord with Catholic teaching."

The statement says students in Catholic schools are expected to have parents who abide by policies of the school and church. The Archdiocese said students with gay parents in Catholic schools would become "confused."

The school's decision was first reported Friday by KUSA-TV in Denver.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 5:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They have the right to do that, yes. However, why would they choose to punish that CHILD for the decisions and actions of thier parentts?
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 10:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• A private religious school has the right to make this decision. I honestly wonder in situations like these why somebody would want to enroll their child in a school that teaches tenets specifically in disagreement with that family's lifestyle or beliefs. It seems like sometimes people do it just to stir crap up.
    Anonymous

• It's a private school so they can choose to do what they like.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• it's not fair at all because catholics are supposed to preach tolerance...i'm a bisexual who went to a catholic high school. my junior year i was in a relationship with a girl i truly loved...they never had a problem with me nor asked me to leave because they preach tolerance...however they did not allow me to take my girl to prom...i learned to let that go
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• It isn't right, but like others have said private schools have a right to do whatever the want in this aspect. I worked at a place that kicked people out because they didn't attend X church services a month, is it right? No but it is how it is. (BTW it wasn't a catholic school I worked at, so it isn't just catholics that do it.)
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I think the school is just going for a publicity stunt..Let all the homophobics unite.
    Anonymous

• Schools like that have the right to make their own policies and they can allow or not allow anybody they choose to attend there. Period. Doesn't matter whether you agree or not, it's their right, plain and simple. I also agree that it seems strange to insist that your child be allowed to attend a school that teaches against something that's obviously so much a part of your life.
    Anonymous

_______
    Why do you say that? Could the Gay parents be going for a publicity stunt since they enrolled their child into a school they knew disagreed with their lifestyle? The parents are the ones who contacted the news. So yeah could be either looking for attention. So I guess Christian haters unite!

It is a private school,Op. They have the right to do this. The parents should have known that their child wouldn't be allowed to go there. That would be like a white kid apply for the United Negro College Fund. You can do it but it's their right to turn you down. Also I don't understand why they would want their kid to go to a school that would clearly bash the parents relationship to the child. Not directly but through the teachings of the bible.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• The Catholic Church does not condone homosexuality. The school is a private school, and teaches religion among other things. How would you feel if you sent your child to a school that told your child that you (the parent) were WRONG, at the very least. If these "parents" want private school for the child, they need to find one that is not religious. Surely you are not suggesting that the Catholic church CHANGE their entire belief system just to accommodate a gay or lesbian couple here and there???
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• This is a private school run by the Catholic church. They have the right to set the rules and policies as they see fit. If a student or student's parents are doing something in such a way that doesn't line up with the beliefs of the Church, then the school has every right to not allow them to attend the school. This can't possibly be the only school in town. They can either send their kid to a public school, or a private school that doesn't care if the parents are homosexual. I'm sure the rainbow flag wavers are going to have a field day with this one though!!!
    Anonymous