Newborn feeding/sleeping question! Please answer!

So we brought our new bundle of joy home lastnight! My questions is though, he is sleeping more than I ever expected....He weighed 8lbs 13 oz so I figured he would be eating around the clock, but no...I'm trying out the whole breast feeding thing but Im so scared he will dehydrate or lose too much weight at the rate he is going now. He is peeing and pooping really good. So that tells me he is hydrated for now, but should I wake him up every few hours to make him eat or just feed on demand? Because I have been very unsuccessful with waking him up and feeding because he just nurses for a few minutes and is right back to sleep. I really dont want to bottle feed and do not want to give up but I also want to do whatever to keep him healthy.

ashley_2187

Asked by ashley_2187 at 6:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• let him sleep and eat on demand, you'll know if hes hungry lol

6-8 dipes and hes doing great
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I agree with pp...let him sleep as much as he needs and feed on demand. He''ll be fine...just keep track of the diapers.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 7:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• as long as your getting good dieapers and he is happy let him sleep!! and kudos on breastfeeding
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Ok thanks so much...Ive been so worried. He is so different from DD. Plenty of diapers bein used (I've been peed on so many times, gota get used to a little boy!) LOL Just bein so quiet and sleeping a whole lot. Guess just the mommy nerves workin.
    ashley_2187

Answer by ashley_2187 at 7:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• When i was breastfeeding, the nurses told me to wake my kids every 3 hours minimum to nurse. If you are trying to establish your milk supply, you need the stimulation! I did whatever it took to keep my kids awake to eat - changed diapers, removed clothing, wet washcloth on the face, etc. After your milk supply is well established you can let him sleep more than 3 hours, but for the first few days at least you need to wake him up.

Answer by missanc at 7:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• First if he is NOT jaundice then let him eat and sleep as he feels necessary. 6-8 dipes a day is good. If he is jaundice though you need to wake him to feed him. Jaundice makes them tired for one and also the more frequent feedings helps get rid of the jaundice. Keep up the good work with nursing. If you must wake them my doc suggested nursing on one side until he fell asleep a diaper change and then cold wash cloth on the belly to wake him back up top nurse on the other. My kids were both jaundice at first so I had to wake them, but a week later and they were fine.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My daughter was jaundiced for about a week. I would wake her every 2 hours at night and every 1.5 hours during the day. Sometimes I did go over, but we did stick with that until she was off the photo light therapy. After that she nursed about every 3 hours and occasionally went 4-5 hours. Then around 3 months or so she started eating every 2 hours during the day. That was about when she started sleeping longer at night and now wakes me once, sometimes twice. So it seems she's making up for it during the day. As long as she pees and/or poops like a champ, I don't worry about it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby to eat. He'll wake up when he's ready to eat. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:43 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• You have received great advice. One more thing, make sure that you don't get dehyrated.

Also, soon, the number of bowel movements will decrease; it is not unusual for a breastfed baby to go more than a week without one.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:33 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• great advice. Wnated to add that Ihad the same issue with DD; she would nurse for like 6 minutes, fall asleep and i could not wake her up to nurse!!! and she only ever nursed every 3 hours and then would even sleep for like 5 hours straight!! But some babies sleep a lot esp babies where mom got an epidural or a c section...she will become more wakeful.If she is not wetting diapers then you could worry but you are doing what is natural and right...trust your body! congrats on the baby!

oh and try to nurse at least every 3 hrs, and if you cant waker her up then oh well lol. she will insitnctively let you know if she is hungwy!
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2010