What are you supposed to do?

Kind of a spin-off from the scheduled c-section/induction discussion in Politics & Current Events:

I know that many, many c-sections are done unnecessarily. When I had my daughter, I had gone to the hospital for an u/s my OB ordered to check on things, as I was 41w. The u/s said that I had no fluid left. They checked me in & said they wanted to start me on cytotec. They were also constantly monitoring her. This resulted in my daughter going into distress, her heartrate dropping, and me going into emergency surgery.

I so wanted to avoid all of that - I did not want to be induced, I did not want pain meds, and I did NOT want a c-section.

So, what do you do in that situation? Tell the Doctors & Nurses to f*$k off? Can you do that?

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 6:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes you can do that, and please please look up cytotec. I cannot believe they gave you that. You have a right to refuse anything they try ro do with you. Say no, don't sign anything unless it is an against medical advice form. They cannot make you do anything that you don't want done. I am having a VBAC and I don't want an IV, constant monitoring, epidural, pitocin, or anything and they can try to tell me I should but they cannot make me, be informed that is the biggest key. They cannot make you do a damn thing.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• If you are having another baby or planing on it I highly suggest that you stop by the vbac moms group on here there is wonderful information and tips to help empower you in your pregnancy labor and delivery.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I get so frustrated, because all I did was read & try to educate myself throughout my pregnancy and then when it got to that point, I was just so freaked - I just felt like I couldn't stick up for myself. They said everything to me so matter-of-factly, like - this is what is happening, not like I had any say in it. Three months later & I'm still really upset at how Chloe's birth went..
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 7:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Yes, you can refuse any medical intervention. You have complete say over what happens to you and your baby while in the hospital. Now, IF you refuse and it is indeed an emergency situation you do run the risk of harming your baby. Point that the other post was getting across was that "some" doctors used events like the cord around the baby's neck, or the heart rate drops after some meds etc.. as emergencies when in most cases it is not. Doctors do want what is best for you, and your baby for the most part but sometimes the fear of the "what if" has them scared so they go for surgery too quickly..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2010