Expired carseat

I was about to sell my infant's carseat on Craigslist when someone told me to check it for expiration date. Sure enough it expired in December 2008, when it was 6 years old. I used it for my first baby from Nov 07 to July 08 and for my second baby from June 09 until now. I was reading online how the plastic becomes brittle and the straps become thin in time and even though the seat looks good it might not protect in case of an accident. So now I don't want to sell it anymore. My question is do you think I can put it in the recycle bin? I don't want it to end up on a landfill.

cristinaberger

Asked by cristinaberger at 7:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Health

• I would call the garbage company to see if it can be recycled, and also some places will take expired ones to be recycled directly into making new ones.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Oh yeah and where is the expiration date, I need to check my car seat because the hospital won't let me take my new baby home if it is expired.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Your best bet with expired car seats is to remove and cut the straps and then you may be able to recycle the plastic shell. Some places take them to use for classes and what not.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Try and donate it to a fire or police department.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• If you do put it into the trash make sure you cut the straps and write "do not use" on the cover. You would be surprised how many people would pull it out and use it.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 8:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• We threw ours away after it expired and my dh broke it with a sledgehammer so no one would take it out of the garbage and use it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• The expiration date in on the bottom of the car seat. They expire anywhere from 5-10 years after being manufactured. Also, replace car seats if you are in any type of car accident, even a fender bender where no one was hurt. There could be minute cracks in the seat that you can't see but will make the seat unsafe.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2010