Can a Grandparent get visitation rights over a family dispute

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• It varies state to state.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• In a very few states yes, but it is rare. IMO, grandparents do not always deserve rights, especially when they impose their own beliefs, morals, and parenting styles on their grandchildren which only confuses them, and infringes upon the parents right to raise the child(ren) as they see fit.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• yes
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• BTW- that was not aimed at you OP, just an opinion in general. Wasn't attacking a situation I know nothing about. Just thought I would clarify!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I live in NY and they do have some rights here, not completely sure about them though
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I live in PA and there are no grandparents rights. I have a girlfriend who tried to get visitation when her son (children's father) was jailed and she couldn't do anything.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 7:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• In Florida, as in most states, Grandparents have no rights when it comes to grand kids. My parents tried to get visitation rights for my nephew and they couldn't. I know New York has the most rights out of any state but they are still limited.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 7:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• It depends. If the grandparents have an established relationship with the child, they may have a case. But if they dont, then it's highly improbable that the courts would award GP rights. Ultimately, it's the rights of the parents to restrict visitation of their child to ANYONE. Instead of threatening a lawsuit, why not try to work things out? One thing's for sure: if you ever THREATEN to sue for GP rights, you can kiss your relationship with the parents bye-bye!!
    Anonymous

• varies state to state IE in wisconsin NO, there are no grandparent rights here
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I believe you have to prove some kind of neglect, just can take them because
    PurplWildFlower

Answer by PurplWildFlower at 8:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2010