Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a Grandparent get visitation rights over a family dispute

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (13)
  • It varies state to state.

    Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

  • In a very few states yes, but it is rare. IMO, grandparents do not always deserve rights, especially when they impose their own beliefs, morals, and parenting styles on their grandchildren which only confuses them, and infringes upon the parents right to raise the child(ren) as they see fit.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

  • yes

    Answer by mommy5409 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

  • BTW- that was not aimed at you OP, just an opinion in general. Wasn't attacking a situation I know nothing about. Just thought I would clarify!

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

  • I live in NY and they do have some rights here, not completely sure about them though

    Answer by Liz132 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

  • I live in PA and there are no grandparents rights. I have a girlfriend who tried to get visitation when her son (children's father) was jailed and she couldn't do anything.

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 7:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

  • In Florida, as in most states, Grandparents have no rights when it comes to grand kids. My parents tried to get visitation rights for my nephew and they couldn't. I know New York has the most rights out of any state but they are still limited.

    Answer by imamommmmyyy at 7:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

  • It depends. If the grandparents have an established relationship with the child, they may have a case. But if they dont, then it's highly improbable that the courts would award GP rights. Ultimately, it's the rights of the parents to restrict visitation of their child to ANYONE. Instead of threatening a lawsuit, why not try to work things out? One thing's for sure: if you ever THREATEN to sue for GP rights, you can kiss your relationship with the parents bye-bye!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

  • varies state to state IE in wisconsin NO, there are no grandparent rights here

    Answer by sati769leigh at 7:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

  • I believe you have to prove some kind of neglect, just can take them because

    Answer by PurplWildFlower at 8:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
To circumsize or not?

Next question overall (Health)
Expired carseat