is this consider having and induction?

k with dd i went into labor. i was 4cm with contractions 3 mts part after 6 hrs of my contactios getting a little closer but no dialtion the doctor broke my water and gave me pitocin. she was born l 10 hrs later.
now ds. my water broke at 5 am. and at 7 am i got to the hospital. i didnt get admitted till 10. i was having no contractions. what so ver. at 11. i got pitocin. he was born 5 hrs later l.
since i got pitocin was i induced or what?

piwife

Asked by piwife at 8:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• no
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• yes pitocin is one of the drugs they give you to induce labor
    PurplWildFlower

Answer by PurplWildFlower at 8:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Its hard to say i guess. Since you were already in labor its like they used the pitocin to speed along your labor. Normallly when i hear someone got induced i think of someone who was due but not in labor and got pitocin and their water broke. So im not really sure how that works.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• but what if i was laready in labor. i mean i dint go to the hsopital with out contactions and with ds my water had broken. isnt that consider labor
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• the pitocin help induced your labor, albeit the beginning, middle, or end...it induced your labor
    PurplWildFlower

Answer by PurplWildFlower at 8:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I think you should call it whatever you want. Personally, I wouldn't really consider it an induction since your water broke on its own. I know some people would call it induction though. That happened to a friend of mine but her water had been broken for around 20 hours when she finally got started on pitocin. She labored for a day and spiked a fever even though she was on iv antibiotics. They did a c-section and her son was in the hospital for a while with respiratory problems and some sort of infection. I know she wishes she'd had the pitocin sooner.
    Anonymous

• No it is not an induction, I had the same thing happen and I've been induced. The doctor called it something else. The pitocin just speeds it up at that point to move things along, an induction is when they MAKE the labor start with pitocin. Just because they use pitocin does not mean it's an induction.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Yes it is and induction because induction doesn't just start labor it is also anything that augements labor, and pitocin is an induction drug. Water breaking doesn't mean labor as well.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I don't know if i would call it an induction sense you are already in the beginning of labor. However, it was a unnecessary intervention.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• YES!

Anonymous