3 month old question.

Can I start giving my baby Gerber? He just turned 3 months today!

Kaidensmommy009

Asked by Kaidensmommy009 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• like cereal?? i did at 3 months its not gonna hurt him...
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 8:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• sure if he's showing signs of extra hunger after a bottle i started at 2 1/2 months if he's really not showing signs of being hungry after a bottle you should hold out as long as you can and the cereal most babies dont like but dont put it in a bottle give it off a spoon and the runnier it is the more baby should like it gl have fun
    Anonymous

• I gave my daughter cereal at 3 months! I she was crying more and more! I realized the formula just was not cutting it!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• If he's ready. Signs of readiness include: sitting while supported, use of the pincer grasp (using thumb and forefinger to pick things up instead of the whole hand), showing interest in others' food (grabbing for food from a plate, opening his mouth when a spoon is offered, etc.), and most importantly loss of the tongue-thrust reflex (babies' instinct to push foreign objects out of their mouths to avoid choking -- can only be tested by trying, but should only be tried if other requirements are met). Different babies' readiness happens at different ages, but generally not before 4-6 months.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• my baby is 4 months and has had nothing but breastmilk and is perfectly content

what makes you think baby wants to start solids? i'm not going to try until at least six months
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• A lot of ppl say NO & 2 wait 4 ur Dr. Consent but my lil girl took well with baby food @ 4 1/2 months so I'd say just if you feel as a mother you can but they do still need their formula or breastmilk. & if ur talking bout cereal, yes its fine just follow the instructions on the box 4 first time 4 baby! Good luck & just use ur mommy instincts!!!
    KileighsMom

Answer by KileighsMom at 9:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• All babies r different. IF they weren't you'd buy them off a factory line and save yourself the pain and stretch marks. Your gonna get alot of mixed answers on here. I would suggest you talk to your ped. and look for the signs that your baby is ready.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 10:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Most doctors agree that it will hurt him, and you should wait until 4 months. Oh, but on cafemom, we only listen to doctors who want to cut our babies out of us. For everything else, we're the mom and we know best!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• It's too early. A 3 month old's gut is not very mature and won't be able to handle solids very well. You can cause some serious gas and constipation especially if you formula feed and then start cereal which has iron in it. Too much iron is extremely constipating. I know you are excited, but you'd be better off waiting until the baby can sit unassisted, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, and can bring food to the mouth. That all happens around six months old. You can bypass the jarred food and cereal entirely and go direct to table food which tastes better and is cheaper. YOu don't need to fuss. Food before one is for fun, and not nutrition anyway. If you are going to go commercial food, at least skip the cereal...its very constipating.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2010