It's Stupid To Induce?

So I am electively inducing with my DD2. It may be a week early, it may be 2 weeks early, or it may be right around my due date. I want some idea of others 0pinions. I am deciding to do this for 2 reasons. 1. I have had numerous leg surgeries because of a car accident, and because of my age I can't get a knee replacement, so the end of my pregnancies are hell on me. My leg continually pops out of place making it a potential for me to fall, and I am in so much pain. (That is the reason I chose to get induced with DD1. And that induction worked out perfectly, no complications, no dreaded c-sections.) The second reason I am doing it this time is so Daddy can be here for the birth. He's currently deployed and scheduled his r and r to coincide with my due date, but that's not always a for sure thing. So am I selfish? And for moms that have been there do you think this induction will go as smoothly? Deathly scared of c-sections.

Sparta.

Asked by Sparta. at 8:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had an elective induction. For MANY reasons, here are a few......more organized, I had three other kids and no family or friends around to spontainiously baby sit. My husband worked out of state, alot. It was 30 below zero and didn't want to load everyone up doubled over with contractions and no babysitter. I was alone a lot, that scared me. I did what I had to do and I don't feel bad about it one bit. People will advise you and put you down for it, but only you know whats going to work for you, I just know it really worked for me.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I think you're doing it for all the right reasons honey. You sound like you know the risks, so really, what can anyone tell you? Good luck!

as long as you aren't doing elective c-section so that your vagina doesn't stretch out ;) LOL those women are selfish and stupid!
    Anonymous

• BTW I LOVeD IT!!!! Out of four deliveries it was the best!!!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I had a c-section with my son, who was 11 pounds, so I had an elective c-section with my daughter, I had it the day my due date was supose to be, my daughter was too little, I wish I would have waited til I went into labor. It is a personal choice, I think you have to think of all the good and bad before making any decision.
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 8:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• aww honey! sounds like you have all the right reasons to go with an induction. hope all goes well
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Yes you are selfish. If you dread c-sections than you shouldn't be induced as those increase the risk of having one.

It's not that babies' fault you had to get pregnant while your husband is in the military.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• i got induced and i hated it. it wasnt a planned induction, but i would rather go through labor naturally. However-I dont think that u are wrong for wanting your husband to be there, and given the same circumstances, I would do the same thing.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I would schedule it right around your due date. That way your hubby will be there if it happens then, and if it happens before that then he'll still be there to visit with his newborn baby. And you don't run the risk of having it happen way too early if they're off with the due date. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• You don't need to justify your choice to anyone but I agree with all the previous posters that you are doing it for some very good reasons. I elected to induce also and some may call me selfish but I had my own reasons and did what I felt was right for me. I was 39 weeks when I was induced...I had been dilated to 5cm for almost 5 weeks and I was in high school at the time...I chose to be induced because I didn't want to take un-needed time off and get behind but was also terrified that my water would break at school (I was told I had to drive myself or find a ride because they did not want me on the buses that far along) and I was scared that my mom wouldn't be able to get to me because I had to drive her car. It worked out wonderfully for me. I went in, had water broken, pitocin and had my baby in 2 hours and 43 minutes. Labor was intense but smooth.
    nessani28

Answer by nessani28 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• If you choose and induction you are greatly increasing your risk of having a c-section, an induction gives you a 50% chance of having a c-section. Also if you do this too early your body won't respond and you will have to have a c-section, and if it is too early your baby may not be ready and suffer severe complications. Your due date is the mid poing of when you are truly due, 42 weeks is when you are truly due by. Some inductions turn out fine, but most don't and lead to fetal problems, maternal problems and c-sections and it also ups the chance of you dying, or the baby dying as well. Do your research.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2010