How can I get my two year old to talk?

I have a son who is two years old. For a while we were doing good, he knows most words and will sometimes use them. Lately he just whines and points to things and won't use words. I've tried "mommy doesn't understand what you want tell mommy. use your words please" but it just upsets him and he throughs as temper tantrum. Is there any way i can get him to start talking again and to improve his verbal skills (more than one word statements)?

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 8:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you made sure with your pediatrician there are no developmental issues going on ?kids dont USUALLY regress with speach.
    but most kids are not peas in pods, the devlop thier languages skills along all different paths. I would say talk to your pediatrician and make sure there are no issues that you might need some speech therapy help with. other than that keep trying to ask him questions that require more than 1 word, but not too complicated
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Have his hearing tested. My grandson did well then stopped talking. It was his hearing. They were able to fix it and now he's fine. If it's not that, then give him time. He'll talk when he is ready. My dd didn't talk until she was three. She could. She just wouldn't. until she decided she wanted to. Then she wouldn't shut up!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• i agree with the others. he might have a hearing impairment or even a touch of ASD.

my suggestion though, as far as helping him get his vocab back, would be to only work on one phrase at a time. If you want him to say "apple" (for example,) then only work on that one until he says apple. it doesn't matter if he throws a fit or what he does. he can't have the apple until he says apple. Once he's mastered that, start doing "apple please". etc etc.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Do you know how often I see the same post on here? 2YO boy won't speak!! I have one too. He still doesn't talk. He can speak and I've heard him, but he won't. Our ped said he's fine, as long as comprehension skills(he understands you)are up to parr there is nothing to worry about and he'll speak when he's good and ready. I laid off(and we have ttried it ALL) and now it's picking up! I think it was almost a form of control for him! I quit paying attention to it and now he's starting to talk!!! My MIL said My hubby did the same thing!! I'm sure he's fine. Hang in there!!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Leave that poor child alone! Not all two year olds can talk just yet. My 20 month old can only say "mama", "dada", and "ba" (ball), and da (dog or that). She's just fine. She will speak when she is developmentally ready.
    Anonymous

• "my suggestion though, as far as helping him get his vocab back, would be to only work on one phrase at a time. If you want him to say "apple" (for example,) then only work on that one until he says apple. it doesn't matter if he throws a fit or what he does. he can't have the apple until he says apple. Once he's mastered that, start doing "apple please". etc etc."

This is actually NOT recommended. You need to make sure he doesn't have any sort of developmental disability before you start playing "speech therapist". You should NEVER withhold something from a toddler just because they can't say the word for it!!!!
    Anonymous