Is it ok to let 4 month old CIO or comfort her???

My 4 month old fights me to go to sleep on a daily basis. It was just in the evening from about 5-8, what I called the "witching hour" but now she is doing that during the day. I have to swaddle her with her kidopadamus swaddle! I want to know when is it ok to let her cry her self to sleep or should I still rock her! There are days that I want to pull my hair out with her. I have read conflicting stories about the CIO method and picking her up at the sound of a peep! Just would like some imput from other others who have been down this road! Thanks!

Hsalmons

Asked by Hsalmons at 9:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't believe in crying it out so sorry, I vote no on the CIO

Answer by admckenzie at 9:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I do not believe that CIO is acceptable for children under 1 year of age or so. Babies cry when they need something. If she needs you to hold her then it's because she really does NEED you to hold her. Have you tried shhhhing her REALLY loud? like this

also, i'd like to point out that the AAP is strongly against CIO because of it's connection to FTT.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• CIO worked very well for our DD. I started putting her to bed without my swaddling her at about 5 months. If she did cry, I went in every 10 minutes, checked on her, kissed her, etc, and left the room again. She eventually fell asleep. Honestly we only had crying nights for the first week or so, and she went to bed just fine.

Now that she is 3.5, she'll cry MORE sometimes. LOL She wants mom or dad to just stay in her room, or she wants to come in ours. STILL I'll let her cry on such nights, and do 15 minute checks until she falls asleep. For the most part she's always gone to bed wonderfully.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I don't believe in CIO ....sorry my daughter fights sleep everyday ! I just cuddle up with her and sing to her to get her to sleep!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• yep i did CIO and my son barely cries anymore when we put him down to sleep, we know when hes gettin tired and he doesn't fight us at all. hes 10 months old now
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 9:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I don't believe in the crying it out either- Many people have had success with the waiting 15 minutes situation- I personally am skittish when a child is under a year because of the increased risk of sids, so I've never just let them cry it out.
    Anonymous

• We let our daughter cry it out at about 3 mon, BUT it was only for 10-15 min. If it went longer than that we knew she was really needing something else. And she's been sleeping thru the night since about 5 months with only a day here and there where she can't fall asleep.
    We started her on a routine at about 3 mon, we'd change her diaper, give her a bottle, shhh her and rock her for a few min and put her in her crib. Sometimes she went right to sleep, someimes she'd cry a little, sometimes a lot.
    I didn't want her to get used to us having to put her to sleep and figured it'd be easier in the long run if she could fall asleep on her own. Like I said, it's not like we just dropped her in her crib and left, we did have a routine.
    Which ever you decide to do, make sure you are consistent and you stick with it or it will just confuse her and you'll be more frustrated.
    It gets easier trust me!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 9:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I didn't let them cry it out until they were over a year and I was absolutley positive there was nothing else I could do to help them stop.
    Anonymous

• we CIO'd and my kids go down without a fuss. at 4 months, at the "ripping your hair" out stage just put him down for a bit and breath, contain yourself, calm down a bit, then get him. when you're trying to get him to sleep, make sure he's super tired when you lay him down, at 4 months i'd say letting him cry for 2-3 minutes only, no longer. go in there and maybe pat his back a lil bit, or sit right there next to him if you don't want to leave the room for those couple minutes. also make sure you have a night routine, like bath, lotion him up, read a book, give kisses to mommy and daddy, then it's bedtime. that helps too. get a daily routine as well, it helped me be less stressed as well, knowing i'd have some kind of "me" time in there. GL
    Anonymous

• It depends. What I did is lied my dd down and if she kept crying for over five minutes I'd go get her and then try to lay her down again later. If your baby is really tired she should be able to calm herself in that amont of time if she doesn't there maybe something else bothering her or she just isn't tired.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2010