Anyone know anything about fondant?

I'm making a cake for my sons 1st birthday next month. I saw one I want to make that used fondant... and it looked awesome. I know nothing about fondant. Can anyone give me some pointers on it and on what type to buy?

Thank you!

monkeysma86

Asked by monkeysma86 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Well I will tell you all I know but it may not help. Yes I agree it looks cool, I know that you need to roll it out and I think you need to put a layer of something under it to sort of adhere it to the cake. But I also heard from one person that it is very sweet but then another one says it tastes nasty. So I am not to sure cause I have not braved it yet.
    mommy2each

Answer by mommy2each at 9:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Regular fondant does taste nasty. I would suggest a marshmallow fondant. You can join the group Cake 101 and they will give you several tips on the best way to deal with fondant and they even have some recipes for it too.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• IMO fondant looks really cool. It is also difficult to work with and it tastes disgusting.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Wilton has a site dedicated to Fondat. I hope this helps :D http://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/

SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 9:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I do cake decorate cakes as a side job. I personly hate fondant, it tastes terrible and it gets prettty hard so if your son is going to have some of the cake I suggest taking it off his piece. I try to only use it for flowers. Anyway I buy wilton brand or I make my own
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Make marshmallow fondant. You'll need to frost the cake before putting the fondant on, preferably with buttercream. MMF tastes good, nothing like the store-bought stuff - don't buy it, make it! It does NOT get overly hard if you do it just the day before and store it properly - nothing wrong with it for a young child, but I would take it off for a 1yo. GL, it's a pain in the tush to work with!
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies!
    monkeysma86

Answer by monkeysma86 at 8:22 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Fondant tastes good. It's MARZIPAN that is nasty. Whatever you do, do not buy marzipan. yuck! Anyways, you set the cake out, ice it with buttercream icing. Then once you have rolled the fondant out big enough you drape it on the cake and smooth it out. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.
    ProudMami2008

Answer by ProudMami2008 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• It may look nice, but it tastes nasty.. Went to a wedding where they used it and everyone was trying to peel it off to get to the cake. I also make cakes and my first one was for my sons 1st birthday. He is now 35 so now I am making my grandkids cakes. I make wedding cakes also. Go to a cake store or Michaels and look in the isle where they have cake decorating supplies. YOu will find all kinds of cool things and books to help you without using fondant.
    Residuals4U

Answer by Residuals4U at 12:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2010