Does sex really help you go into labor?

I am currently dilated to one and have been for 2 weeks now and I am 50% effaced.I have no room left for the baby is what the nurse said because I have such a small figure and it is causing me to be in all kinds of pain.This is my second pregnancy as well.I never felt this bad with the first lol Will sex really help you go into labor? I was thinking about doing some walking and then having sex to see if it would work.I am trying to not be induced lol I was induced with my first and would like to just let this one come out without the doctor doing it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It worked for me! My water broke right afterwards.
    Anonymous

• This is nasty lol... Its actually the sperm that "helps". It softens the cervix. For some women it helps for some it does not. I know it did not for me. I had sex (HATED IT EACH TIME) 6 times and only dilated 2 cenimeters lol.

Good luck
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 10:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• yeah i just read that its the sperm that helps. which i never knew. So i tried it the other day and have been having contractions since but still no baby. so...maybe another try and she'll be here :) we'll see
    ashtynsmom730

Answer by ashtynsmom730 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• It worked for me! Good Luck!
    vowens82

Answer by vowens82 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I'll tell you what worked for us. My daughter was due August 27th. Around the beginning of August my husband decides he has to start remodeling the master bathroom. We go in for my 38 week appointment and I'm dilated an inch and the midwife says we can try sex to move things along. Later that night my husband says, no sex for you because I'm not ready for her to get here, yet. (Because of the bathroom) 4 days later, she showed him who was boss. She was 11 days early. Now almost 7 months later he just finished the bathroom tonight. The caulk is drying and supposedly we can shower in it tomorrow.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Maybe and maybe not, might just be a good way to pass the time while you are waiting! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Sex *can* help... perhaps.

But if you are uncomfortable and big you still don't have to consent to induction. Save that for dangerous, high-risk, emergencies.
    Work on coping through your discomfort, knowing that it's almost over. Stay strong!

If you want to have lots of sex it won't hurt anything, though!
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:20 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Sex won't make a baby come before it's ready, but it can help once it's close to time. Sperm is full of prostaglandin, which helps to soften the cervix. (In fact, in hospitals to help things along, they'll use a prostaglandin gel that's derived from pig sperm... I'd personally rather get it from my partner LOL) Also, oxytocin and other sex hormones are helpful for getting the body ready to go into labor, and nipple stimulation is also recommended. ;-)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2010