Something is NOT right with this picture.. HELP!

Today is the 2nd time in a row where my 3mon. daughter had a fit in my moms house.

I went there today just to check on her(my mom). My bother and sister and my moms "friend" were all there just like the time before.

As soon as we walk in my daughter starts kicking and whining like she scared of something. About 15 minutes later she's in a full blown break down. She's screaming so hard she was practically horse. Bawling tears, kicking! So I open the front door and step outside. She immeditatly quiets down. Becomes the calm, sweet little baby she is... I step back in and there she goes again. In Out In Out... Same thing over and over.

Why do you think she acted that way? And as I said: This is the 2nd time in a row she's done this at my mom place.

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 10:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• (cont'd)
    I often took care of her while mama ran an errand or got a nap, but when she entered this phase, her reactions changed. This time, my granddaughter got gradually more and more hungry for mama's arms. By the time her mother was back, she had cried hard a couple of times (briefly) and I had "jollied" her out of her frantic feeling. But she was tremendously relieved to see her mother again.

And after that, when she would set eyes on me she'd grab tightly onto mama. She was a very intelligent little baby, and she associated me with the bereft emotions she had endured for a couple of hours. So her mother just stayed with her daughter for a few months and respected her emotions. After all, it's only for a few months, and there's no justification for forcing her to endure such trauma.

You have to be in awe of the child's very strong intelligence !

It's wonderful that you noticed and respected your daughter's needs !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I'm confused...did you take her outside with you...and that's when she calmed down?
    Anonymous

• When you say "friend" what do you mean? Is this person untrustworthy?
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Yes. When I would step outside with her she'd calm down, but as soon as we stepped back inside she go bonkers again
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 10:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• When I say "friend" I mean my mothers lesbian lover... I was trying to be nice about the statement
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 10:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Things that come to mind are a jarring environment - music or TV that are not "lullaby" and soothing ... people speaking in voices which are not hushed, which are not considerate of the very real sensitivity of babies under the age of 1 year ... one or more persons in the room has a jarring presence (young children commonly have a 6th sense about people, just like animals are know to have) ... there is a smell in the house which is impossible for your baby to tolerate (smoking? old cooking? mildew if the house is in a humid region?) ... possibly she is picking up on some tension between people in the house or between them and her mother (she's going to be VERY tuned in to mama's emotional state)

My granddaughter went into a phase of NEEDING to be in mama's arms. She HAD been fine with being carried by whomever, and if she became nervous, just SEEING mama reassured her. But then - about 3 months old, she REALLY NEEDED mama.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• you could have just said your mothers girlfriend...that would have been more respectful....she's trying to tell you something, i'd suggest different babysitting
    Anonymous

• Oh my goodness...somethings definitely wrong there...I hate to say this...I really do...and it has nothing to do with the lesbian thing...just the screaming fit thing...molestation could be a factor...you should get her examined immediately by both a physician and a child psychologist.
    Anonymous

• errr did you say a 3 month old? i would think it was likely lighting, sound, something that was startling or upsetting her.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I can only share with you something similar that happened when my son was small, we went to a friend's house and he needed to use the bathroom (both our first time there). I told told him to go and he was just terrified, so I went with him and he still had a fit. I have no idea, but my friend gave me a look like "I must have been talking about her." I never found out why my son acted like that.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2010