Questions about fever and body temps in 4 year old...please read!

My 4 year old had a fever yesterday and earlier today. The highest was 102.2 and was hard to break. I gave him motrin and then tyenol 2 hours later. The pharmacy told me that it was ok to alternate and I could give tyenol to him 30 mins after the motrin the first time, then alternate every 4 hours. I have not given him anything since 4pm CST. His temp was normal at 5 and 6 but then began to go down each hour that I have taken it. I just took it at 945 and it s 96.9 It this too low.....should I be worried??? Thanks so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• oh i dont know.. but id speak the a doc if i were you.
    Anonymous

• The 98.6 F is really just a guess at what human body temp is. Children, pregnant women, and older people can have a "normal" body temp range that is broad. 95-100 give or take.

You baby has probably been sweating. That cools the body. You'll need to get the sweat off of and out of everything. A proper temp bath, clean PJs, clean sheets and blankets, and plenty of fluids are a best bet.

If he feels cold, numb, dizzy, or you think he may be seriously dehydrated, take him into the ER. He's probably just cool from sweating out his sickness. Blessings of health to your family.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• You should take him to the dr today. If you can't get in today you need to go to urgent care. Sometimes when kids get sick their temps go down instead of up. Once when I was a kid my temp dropped to 96.4 when I had mono. It may be nothing to worry about but I wouldn't chance it. That is an awfully low temp. I would have him examined today.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Not really, it depends on what is normal for your child. Not everyone runs a 98.6 temp. Mine is about 1 degree lower as is my son's. If he has other symptoms, then call the doctor in the morning, but I really wouldn't worry about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Not really understanding why you are so concerned with bringing down a 102 fever, that's lowgrade. Let his body do what it needs to do. The low temp you suggested could have possible been a bad reading.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Sorry but 102 his high
    Anonymous