Wisdom teeth removal

My husband has two wisdom teeth removed on Wednesday and I have some questions. When I got my wisdom teeth removed, they gave me stitches. With my husbands, they didn't. There is just this hole... will it ever go away?! Also, inside the hole we can see some white and black in it. Is that normal or should he go back to his dentist? He's still in some pain, nothing major, but enough to still need about half the dose of his pain meds. I guess I'm just getting a little worried...

things_not_sane

Asked by things_not_sane at 11:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Health

• Remember that men can't handle pain the way women can.

The hole will go away. They can take several weeks to be "flat" again. You can get some clove oil to dab on the area to numb it. It helps. He probably has internal stitches that are deep where the root of the tooth used to be and that's the black stuff you see. It will dissolve and go away on its own. The white is probably bubbles of saliva down in the hole. If he becomes feverish or vomits, call the doc right away.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• yes a hole is normal. many dentists leave it that way, and its important to not smoke or suck on straws etc. can cause issues. it will eventually heal up . if all he needs is a half dose, he is likely doing fine and on the road to healing
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• its normal. my hub has 6 wisdom teeth, and he got all of them removed, and the dentist only sewed up on one side. but just keep him hydrated, and nourished as much as he can eat.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:34 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• your probably just seeing the bone. eventually the gum will grow over top of it.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 12:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2010