c-section postpartum....tape that they put over the cut and stitches?

I had my baby by c-section a week ago..home now but when i left the hospital i still had the several pieces of tape going over my cut and stitches. I didnt think about it then, but when do I remove those or do I just let them come off by themselves? ill call obgyn to ask too monday.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They had me remove mine myself. It's not fun, I had staples and it pulled. Just go slow and do it in the shower, the warm water will help the adhesive come away from your skin.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Your supposed to just leave it on until it starts falling off. But do call and see what your OB suggests. I was told to leave it on, and I could peel it off when it was coming off. Remember to wash with soap and water on your incision when your in the shower, and be sure to dry it and let it air dry really well, so it keeps any moisture away.
    congrats on the new baby! xo
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Congrats btw! :)
    MamaRoberts

• I thought the tape should fall off on it's own-- about a week or so postpartum. But I haven't had a cesarean myself, so am not sure.
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:08 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• i staye in the hospital for 4 days after both of my c-sections and both times they had me take it off in the shower before i went home so they could take the staples out. If they didnt tell you then i would assume when ever it falls off but call your ob just to make sure. Congrats!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Do you mean they put tape directly on top of your incision? Ouch! They put gauze over my incision and taped around the edges of the gauze so it didn't hurt to pull it off. then they gave me some thin pads and tape to replace the bandage when I got home. But I had staples, not stitches. I'd say leave the tape on till it falls off. Congrats!
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 1:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• yes right on top of the incision! i had staples last c-section but my obgyn fixed my scar since it was really bad from last time and then used stitches....
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:10 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• leave the tape on as long as you can and your staples will be removed in the office when the baby is 3 to 4 weeks..well that's what my Dr. did anyway. but yeah keep the tape on.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:20 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• i didnt have any staples but they put the tape over my stitches and the next day after i had my son the nurse came in my room and said she was removing the tape..then lifted up my shirt and just ripped it right off it didnt hurt just felt really weird.. ive never heard of leaving it on, because bacteria grows under it and you need to keep an eye on your cut to see if its oozing or swelling..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Are they steri strips? If they are, you are to leave them on until they start falling off on their own.
    MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 1:37 AM on Mar. 7, 2010