If Welfare and WIC put an age limit on receiving benefits, do you think there would be a decrease in teen pregnancy?

If a teenager knew that she could NOT collect welfare, medicaid, food stamps or WIC until the age of 21, do you think the "allure" of having a baby will be lost for teen girls? What if she couldn't collect child support until the father of the child turns 21?

It just seems like the first thing teen girls do is run to the welfare office the minute they find out they are pregnant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is a 5 year lifetime limit on welfare benefits if anything I don't think teens are thinking about that, they are not thinking "hey I should limit my time on this welfare stuff because I might need it down the road"
    and yeah I have met young girls who thought the ticket to getting money was to have a baby to get free money so they would not have to work.
    I went to a teen mom school and I do not think teens should be given cash and foodstamps but rather vouchers because the girls that were on loved the first of the month so they could go shopping and get their nails done. Foodstamps were used for junk food and soda.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• No... There would be a lot of starving mothers, and children.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• They have to, cause that's the only place they are going to get help unless thier parents are rich!
    I think the last thing teenagers are worrying about is what kind of aid they can get when they are and if they get pregant. Seriously....those girls have no clue what they're getting themselves into....I doubt they're adding up how much welfare they can suck out of the state.
    You need to chill out. Have you ever had a daughter or been a teen who becomes pregnant?
    Anonymous

• hmm nope. i dont think most teens get pregnant so they can get welfare, wic etc. they get pregnant cause in the heat of the moment they dont THINK
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I agree with MrsLeftlane.

Who the heck is thinking about WIC and Welfare when they're doing the naughty?! Um NOONE I know of.

Putting an age limit on it isnt going to STOP them from SEX. It'll just change how long they can be on assistance.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I don't think it would help.... but who knows.
    JessicaB86

Answer by JessicaB86 at 11:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I think there should be a limit with how long your on assistance. I'm pretty sure there is for WIC but there needs to be one for food stamps too.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Well at 18 your legal, so why not be able to collect welfare? Just so you know, in order for you to collect food stamps, you must live out of your parents house unless you are over the age of 22. And WIC you have to have SOMEONE supporting you. You cant get it with just "no income". But thats just in PA, I dont know about the other states
    Anonymous

• OP

I'm not trying to bash, or cause drama...I'm just trying to explore the reasons for such an increase in teen pregnancy. I was wondering if finances had anything to do with it.
    Anonymous

• Maybe a very small drop. Maybe one out of a hundred pregnant teens get pregnant to keep a boyfriend or something figuring that they can support it on welfare, but the vast majority get pregnant not thinking about concequences at all, and wind up on welfare so they can TRY to support their kids.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2010