WHEN IS THE TIME TO HAVE THE SEX TALK?

At what age would be a good age to have to have the sex and period talk with your little girl the reason I ask is my little girl is 4 yrs. old and she has ask me where do babies comes from! and She has seem my pads under the bathroom sick and ask me and her what they was used for! And we dont know what to really tell her!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If it were my child I would tell her that babies come from heaven and as for the pads I would say they are for adult use only, you will find out what you use them for when you get older.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:13 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Now is the time :) When they show curiosity that's the time to tell them in age-appropriate terms where babies come from (using the ACTUAL names of body parts, not euphamisms), and what happens when a woman gets her period.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:17 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• my dd hasnt asked me that yet but she does notice the pads and the tampons and when she knows im on my period she says mommy has owies. i have told her they are for mommies owies and she seemed ok with that. but my daughter is only 3.
    my dd knows that babies are from mommies belly because she was old enough to remember when i was pregant with her sister. so that has worked for now. but at 4 i think that all they should know is that they come from mommies belly. the rest can wait.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:39 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• When she asks, tell her. But only answer the exact question. "Where do babies come from?" tell her they grow in the mommys belly. Don't offer extra information. About the pads, tell her they are for menstration. Often just answering the original questions will gie them enough info to go and ponder for awhile. You don't want to overwhelm her with too much.

And PLEASE don't lie. She will find out sooner or later that you did, then she won't come ask you anymore.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 11:25 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I agree with phantomphan... for us it will not be a scenario in which our daughter is totally in the dark and then one day all the sudden we have "the talk" and she is enlightened. None of it will be a secret, but we will not burden her with information she's not ready to process yet. I've always been open with her about period issues, though. She doesn't understand the whole of it, but she does know that grown women bleed from between the legs sometimes, that they're not hurt, and that it's a private matter. She'll be 3 in May.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2010