How much money do you give your kids a week and what for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My school going boys get $5.00 a week ($1.00 a day) but thats not for lunch. I go in and cover thier lunch for the week Monday morning. Thats for all the little extras after school (popcorn, bottled water, candy sales)
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 12:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• nada. i doubt we will do the allowance thing
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:54 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• My 9 yr old dd gets a paycheck every two weeks of $10.00. We have explained to her that daddy and mommy work, and she has a job too. Her job is to go to school and get good grades. She is also expected to help around the house (because it is everyone's job to keep the house clean, not just one person's). We also provide other ways for her to earn money like lemodade stands, selling her toys in a yard sale, etc. We do not buy her toys unless it is her birthday or a holiday. If she wants toys or a special outfit, she has to save for it. This has cut down her abuse on toys and has made her appreciate what she has because she has earned it. Every year on her birthday (or there abouts) we do a performance evaluation and can raise her paycheck. The thing I like is that I don't hear - "it's your job to do..." or "that's not my job..." She respects our household and seeks ways to be a contributing member of the family.
    sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 1:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• She gets nothing. She has no need for money right now (lunch is free) and we don't do an allowance. She does chores (when she actually does them) because she is part of the family and lives in the house.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• When my sons were in grades 7-10 they got $ (no set amount, we paid for whatever they were doing) every 2 weeks for going out with friends......as long as they followed our rules, got good grades and kept their rooms cleaned & did their chores. It wasn't an allowance, we just gave it to them if we had it to give. Once they started working we stopped giving them extra money.
    Anonymous

• Must be nice to get free lunches... even so, they should be able to have some money of their own.
    Anonymous

• None. They have no need for money. We provide everything.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I gave my 3 year old 50cent and she looked at me put her hand on her hip and said where's my other 50cent!!!but 5.00 or 10.00 to my 11 year old.
    Caramel824

Answer by Caramel824 at 8:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I have a 17 yr old and an almost 16 yr old. All told, they get $25 a week. BUT - that's not all spending money, it's also their lunch money. Where we lived before, lunch was $3 a day, and that's where we started this. They can do what they want with the money to a certain extent, but they do HAVE to get lunch every day. If they pack their lunch, then we get $3 back (lol, one of our kids was wanting to get the money every week, then have us buy stuff for packed lunches, too...)

School lunches here are cheaper than that, but we still give them the same amount.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2010