• In the Spotlight:

my newborn.....?

my baby is 5 days old and im a little confused on the sleeping arrangements and what they are suppose to be.

she will lay in her crib and bassinet (both in my room). she will fall asleep and stay asleep but will wake up making little neighing sounds, never really cries unless I ignore her for a while....which i dont know if im suppose to or not. I obvisouly check if she has poop or is wet or is hungry but she is usually just fine.

when she does this, i've picked her up and brought her to lay with me and she passes out right away and doesnt make these noises.

what is she doing? what am I suppose to do? I want her to sleep in her own bed...I dont want her to cosleep but that seems to be the only time she will REALLY sleep.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They're always going to make noises during the night. If you just pick her up when she needs to feed and/or when she starts really crying then she may sleep longer for you! I know it's hard listening to her make any noise...I was that way with my first at least....Every little sound I picked her up (it's not a bad thing, your just looking after your little one :) ).
    I always had my kiddos sleep next to me for about a month or so in a bassinet so it was easier to breastfeed during the night. Then i'd switch them to a big bed in thier own room with a monitor so I could hear when they needed me or when I needed to check on them.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:19 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• If it's a neighing noise, it usually means that she is hungry. Most newborns will have 2-4 oz every 2-4 hours. Their tummies are tiny, so they have to eat frequently. We also put ours in the bassinet in our room for the first 3 months, then in a crib in our room until 8 months, then to own room, no problems. I formula-fed, but had the formula measured and water measured by the bed, so that the baby wouldn't have time to wake up.(Had a dim light or night light in the room.) Always took the formula at room temperature so I wasn't rushing around heating up bottles. After a while, cold was the preferred temperature. Sorry for the rambling, hope this helps. BTW, don't worry about anything that you do in the first 6 months as being a "bad habit". She will need you less as she grows, but she needs you close now. I didn't want to co-sleep because I was afraid of rolling on them, but the bassinet was perfect to have near.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:34 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• My baby is 6 months old and still sleeps with me; I feel safer that way. But it seems that when she is hungry or trying to fall asleep she makes those noises too. If that was my baby I would put her in bed with me if it meant that you both get the sleep you need. When she does this I would try to feed her, that may be all she needs. Consider yourself lucky to have a baby that does not scream right away. With my first child (she was pre-mature), an organization called Healthy Start or something like that would come to my house to evaluate her progress. They told me that a child who is attended to and not left to cry will be less likely to excessively cry bc it gives them a sense of trust in you. So I do let my baby fuss a little but I do not let her "cry it out."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Mar. 7, 2010