Panties in a wad over religion?

Atheists will not stop believing that there is no god, and most of the different religious sects will not stop condemning everyone who does NOT believe as they do... BUT (there is always a but, isn't there?) we all think we're right. BELIEVE we are right...

In the end, what does it matter to a religious person if they could not convert the world, it's just more space to romp with the big guy in the sky- right?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:16 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• At least for my religion, we believe we are all children of our Heavenly Father....and as such, we are all brothers and sisters....we want everyone to be able to partake of the blessings our Heavenly Father has in store for us that lead us back to his presence.
    It's not about numbers to us...it's about helping one another back to our Father in Heaven.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I'm with you. However, when the beliefs of others start to cause the rights of others to be denied I can't simply look away. That wouldn't be right. When RELIGIOUS reasons create or support laws that deny rights or limit freedom, action needs to be taken. Thankfully, here in the US, we have at least a semi-democracy, but if no one speaks up, nothing can or will change. I don't care what others believe, but when those beliefs start to hinder others lives - I care...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• i am not convinced I am right. LOL but i sure know WRONG when i see it. LOL
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Whether they'll admit it or not, I think that is one of the main attractions to certain religious denominations - they give you a license to be up in everyone else's business whether they want you there or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I find this question interesting coming from somebody who has read the Bible several times over... We are supposed to spread His word. Obviously we should have enough sense to realize there are going to be times when we simply aren't going to get anywhere with it and we should back off, continue in prayer if we are truly trying to convert that person. We are supposed to spread His word out of love and concern for our brothers and sisters as the pp stated, our motivation should not just be to prove somebody wrong or one up somebody. And BTW, I know a couple of former atheists who are now Christians (but I suppose that means to some people that they just weren't real true atheists, huh?)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• In the end, what does it matter to a religious person if they could not convert the world, it's just more space to romp with the big guy in the sky- right?
    --------------------
    You've got a point there...

but because it matters to the Eternal One, I'll continue to share. :o)

Anyway, we can't convert anyone, we can only share our faith and experiences. Conversion is between the individual and God.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:22 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• well seeing as im not really sure what i believe...im not convinced im right. but when i finally figure it out i promise to tell everyone im right and they're wrong haha

all religions want to share their message w/ as many ppl as possible, some are just more pushy and obnoxious about it. everyone has their beliefs for a reason and if they like their belief so much, why wouldnt they want to share? and besides, if only one person follows its not really a religion.

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• From what I have seen some religious people can get pretty right down nasty when they realize they aren't going to change beleives to their side, accusing and condeming, I wonder if this is what Jesus had in mind when he said to spread the world.
    I do not have a problem with other peoples beleives as long as they do not stand in the way of others receiving what is rightfully theirs.

Answer by older at 10:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• all religions want to share their message w/ as many ppl as possible

Not true. There's really only one that makes a rule of it, and another that has occasionally been twisted into saying that, but the practice is actually in opposition to what their book really says. Most religions are live and let live. Even in cases where governments dictated belief in a certain deity to make their current king or emperor into a god, people weren't forced to believe in only that god (with one brief exception). They were just expected to pay lipservice to it along with whatever they really believed to make sure they'd keep obeying the law and pay taxes.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I reject all dogma outright. If ANY god cares to prove his existence, my beliefs are willing to change given new information. It is not going to be any of the followers who will change my mind. In the meantime I will continue on my path. I suppose it could get my panties in a wad...if I wore any. You continue down your path and I will continue down mine. I can be civil when they cross from time to time, but I assure you I am NOT lost and I am NOT on the wrong path. Respect that and we have no issues.
    Anonymous