Please tell me about bedtime in your house? How old are your kids? What do you do at bedtime? How do your kids react? Do they stay in bed? How long until they fall asleep?

Trying to figure out what other parents do. As a child I remember whining a bit but I went to bed. I can't get my kids to go to bed very well. Especially have problems with my 2 year old and 11 month old.

MommyOfCDLY

Asked by MommyOfCDLY at 12:39 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• i didnt worry about bedtimes at 2 and 11 months. as my son got older and was going to school then we working him in to a schedule. he is 6 and goes to bed about 7 pmish-8pmish. he gets up at 6:30 for school so that is the best bed time for him to get enough sleep. on the weekends we let him stay up later
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• My older two are great with bed time. As soon as 8pm rolls around I point to the clock (they are really into time and numbers ATM) and say it's bedtime. Then I make each of them use the potty (so that way they don't have an excuse to get up when they are already in bed) and we brush our teeth. Then I scoot them off into their rooms for pjs and a short story. With my DD (who is 3) she has to have us blow kisses with her to everyone and finish with "Good night." My DS (who is 4) I just blow a kiss to and say Good Night. Both have ALWAYS been good sleepers.

With my 8mo DD it's a bit different. As soon as she decides its bedtime, she wants it then. She starts rubbing her eyes so I grab a bottle and snuggle with her on the couch until she's done. Then its into her crib for about 3 hours then she wakes up, I put her pjs on her and snuggle a bit more and the she's out for the night.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 12:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• i have a 23 month old, 5 yr old & 3 month old & they go to bed soon as possible which is usually between 545 & 7pm. i wake them up around 445 & 5am. we leave the house by 530am. my 3 month old goes to sleep when he wants which is usually before the others.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 4:36 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I have a 2 1/2 year old and he usually goes to bed somewhere around 8pm. We get him a clean diaper and pajamas on and then we tuck him in his bed with his sleepy bear and sleepy blanket and read him several books, he can choose if he wants but we limit it to about 6 books maximum as he will just keep pulling out books. We use a baby gate to encourage him to stay in his room, but sometimes he will scale the gate (safely) so we also lock our bedroom door so that he will return to his room. He rarely scales the baby gate anymore, he now knows he can't just come into mommy and daddy's bed. He usually goes to sleep pretty quickly these days, but sometimes he will get out of bed and play with his toys for a while but he knows how to put himself to bed when he is tired. Sometimes he will put himself down for a nap when he is really tired before nap time.
    greenANDchic

Answer by greenANDchic at 8:48 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I have a 1 yo (12 mo) and our bed-time routine starts around 8ish. First he takes a bath every other night - or we get wiped down - then he has wild play time in just his diaper (he loves to run around in his diaper..) for about 30 - 40 minutes, then we turn off all the lights besides the reading light.. Then we go get in his pajamas and change his diaper, then I take him and brush his teeth, then we go sit and read books.. I read about 4-6 books to him. Then I sing him the lullabye I always sing as I put him in his sleeper suit and then I nurse him. Once he's really drowsy I take him to his crib and lay him down with a light blanket that smells like me and he goes right to sleep. He wakes up once sometimes and usually sleeps til 8:30 - 9 am and takes a 2 - 3 hour nap in the afternoon.

You could replace nursing your child with a rub/massage. You can also give the bath after playing if baths make them sleepy.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• He does not get out of bed obviously but he does still wake up around 4 am once in a while.

He goes to sleep I would say around 9:10 - 9:30 most nights. Once in a blue moon he stays up later.

Your 2 y/o could use a similar routine since they are likely non-verbal. The 2 y/o might need more reassurance and you might be able to put them to sleep in their own bed. My mom always gave me a bath, put me in my pajamas, then she'd read me several stories, tuck me in really tightly and rub me til I got sleepy and then give me my lovey and say sweet dreams I love you and would turn off my light and leave. She'd also often reassure me that my lovey protected me and my nightlight also was magic and protected me. She also put a sippy I always had really good bladder control. Besides when I had night terrors or was puking I never got up. I think that 45 minutes of unwinding will save you a lot of time in the long-run.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I meant the 2 y/o could be made sleepy in their own bed, the younger one might need you to hold them a bit before getting sleepy. but they also may like being massaged in their crib. I don't know.

What have you been doing? Just trying to lay them down after getting in their jammies? That usually doesn't work especially with older children.. See.. this is why I don't like CIO OR rocking kids to sleep. It's not the crying that bothers me, it's the fact that when they get a little older they're gonna need a routine and they will just get out of bed 10,000 times if you don't have a good-night routine. And I dislike rocking because that doesn't teach them to finally drift off by themselves and then they wake up and won't go back to sleep without it.

You should strike a balance and get them to sleepy-zone. Putting them down cold generally doesn't work out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• And let the children set their bed-time. If your children fight you and fight you at 7 - 8 .. and you never end up getting them to sleep until 9 anyway? Why not just set the bed-time to 9 and spend the time you usually spend fighting with them -- playing / reading books / tiring them out ?

My mother fought and fought and fought with my brother at the age of 3 over going to bed at 8:30 .. lol .. and henever would go to sleep finally til about 10 pm. She realized finally that fighting with a child over the fact they are not sleepy is silly. She just decided to have him go to bed at 9:30 - and all fighting stopped and he actually went to bed without any sort of argument after that.. ever. Then she did the same with me (let me choose my bed-time as a baby/child) and I went to bed at 8. lol

Watch for tiredness. I mean. If they are tired, that's usually a good time for bed. If they're wired, then it's not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Mostly I think my kids have issues right now because we just moved into a new place. Last night I have my kids their baths and then gave the baby his cuppy of formula then put him to bed. HE was fine. Then I took the older two out for a walk and we came back and my two year old was so sleepy he was throwing fits so I put him in his bed, gave him a hug and turned out the light. He proceeded to get up a ton of times. I lost track at 20. Finally I got frustrated and just held his door shut which resulted in him screaming at the door.
    MommyOfCDLY

Answer by MommyOfCDLY at 5:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• i use to put the baby down with a stuffanimal that played music. but every since we started to sleep her in the bed that hasn't really worked. every once in awhile it works. but she is usually tired around 7pm-7:30pm. then its change diaper, pjs and sometimes i let her play on the floor in her room or in the living room. then i lay with her and she drifts off. she reallyd doesn't fuss and then i put her in her crib and that is where she stays until around 6:30am. the only time she wakes at night if she is hungry. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2010