i have a child with autism and planning to have another one,can my second one would be autistic too??

what causes autism??is there any way i can prevent i??

marielena18

Asked by marielena18 at 12:55 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think anyone knows for sure what causes it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I am not sure if Autism is genetic or not. I would talk to your doctor if your concerned. My daughter has epilepsy and I am worried if we have another child that they would have it also.
    pinkdstangel

Answer by pinkdstangel at 1:17 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• there is no specific cause and no cure. though early treatment and therapy can help. i dont think there has been any proven correlation between already having a child with the disorder and having another one with it
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:20 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• i know someone who has 4 kids... only second one is autistic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Yes, there's a chance your second child could also be autistic. There's ALSO a chance that they will NOT be.

I have been very good friends with a woman for almost 15 yrs now. She has 5 kids. Her 1st is high functioning autistic. Her 2nd and 3rd are where they should be socially, and are both advanced mentally. Her 4th is low functioning autistic. Her 5th, who is still pretty young, is right where she should be developmentally - in fact, I believe she's a little ahead.

If you and your so want another baby, then please, don't let fear of this stop you. Talk to your Dr, see what the odds are for your family, based on family history, etc, and decide from a place of knowledge and desire, not fear.

GL to you :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:10 AM on Mar. 7, 2010