How to find a way to adopt when money is tight and can't afford it. Money should not dictate whether or not we can be parents. Does anyone have any ideas on how to find the financial means to adopt?

My husband and I dearly want to have a chance to parent at least one child but we do not know how we can afford all the fees. I am 37 and he is 47. We are afraid that by the time we can afford all of the fees he will be too old to be the dad that he dreams to be. Please help!

Jen145

Asked by Jen145 at 2:10 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Adoption

• consider something a bit off the normal. since he is possibly hitting an age range that many agencies would not be ok with . sorry to say, you might want to consider a potentially difficult adoption IE adopting from an agency that handles adoptions for children who are potentially born with issues IE drug exposure during the pregnancy. IE in chicago they have The Cradle that handles these types of adoptions. and most of the couples are couples who are a bit different themselves. but all good acceptable parents just maybe what other agencies would say no to. 10 years ago i know it was a flat $5000 fee i dont know how much it would be today.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:16 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• It really depends on which route you wish to take.. If you go with foster-adoption there are usually minimal fees to zero fees involved. The state eats the cost. If you go with a private domestic adoption it will be several thousand dollars, but the fees are staggered in most cases. In International the fees are staggered.
    We adopted internationally...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:50 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• A lot of states offer grant programs you can apply for to get assistance when adopting. The agency you go through should be able to tell you about them. We did foster-adoption and iit cost us nothing.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I would advise you to call your local foster care office & inquire about being adoptive parents. I was looking thru Arizona's requirements for age restrictions (trying to see if your DH was still able to qualify. I think that someone mentioned that International Adoption require that both are under 45 y/o. (mcginnisc?) Anyway, we adopted thru foster care and our adoption expenses were less than $1500. Adopting thru foster care isn't for everyone & at first we were going to straight adopt, (Which you can do.) but decided during our training to do foster/adopt. It was the right decision for us. Here's a couple of links.

http://www.childwelfare.com/arizona.htm

http://www.childwelfare.com/arizona.htm

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I'll admit that adopting thru FC can be challenging, but ultimately was VERY rewarding in our experience. Knowing that you have adopted a child whose immediate or extended family has been unable to parent him/her for whatever reason (Not knocking DIA) is a blessing. It's not for the faint of heart, which I thought that I was, but during the process we grew and stretched ourselves to be able to handle more adversity that we thought possible. In the end, we have a beautiful son and he has a loving, stable, permanent home and will not grow up in foster care.

Also, remember that God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called. Good luck to you!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Loved your answer DB :)
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 5:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Look for some teens who are wanting to give up their baby. You could perhaps offer them some kind of help which wouldn't cost a fortune.
    Pregnancyinfo.net has a section for teens I recall or you could try here. It's worth a shot. Otherwise maybe you can adopt through foster care. There are orphanages all over the world. Time to do some research. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• ADopt through social services.

davethomasfoundation.org has a lot of resources available to help with financial aid.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:20 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Quoting Anon 4:24 am-Look for some teens who are wanting to give up their baby. You could perhaps offer them some kind of help which wouldn't cost a fortune.

What would be the difference in finding a teen or a 33 y/o expectant woman to "offer them some kind of help which wouldn't cost a fortune"? Because the teen can be easily manipulated, not require much of PAP's because of fear & perhaps being unaware of her rights, has little to no resources or support, and be convinced that she can have other children?

Could you clarify your answer, Anon?

I'm afraid that these shows like "16 & Pregnant" are making ppl believe that teens shouldn't parent their children. Some shouldn't, but even those deserve the right of representation thru an agency. Placing a child is life-changing & finding a teen on your own means that she's likely not to receive counseling about her choice. Most PAP's aren't experts on adoption themselves.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Quoting Anon 4:24am-Pregnancyinfo.net has a section for teens I recall or you could try here. It's worth a shot.

Your web address is incorrect, but I did find it. This public forum is not an adoption agency however, I was NOT surprised to see the "16 & Pregnant" link there. If a teen finds her way there and feels desperate enough to want to place her child for adoption, I pray that the people that she encounters there are looking after HER best interests and those of the CHILD, and aren't trying to take advantage of her just so they can have a baby....for cheap.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2010