Breastfeeding after nipple rings.. (a lil graphic)

Ok, I have looked everywhere to no avail. I have had my nipples pierced for over 8 years now. When I found out I was expecting I left the rings in. About the 3rd month they were so sore I had to take them out. My ? is this, I know for most situations I should have no problems feeding. But the issue is the dead cells inside the holes. I was a professional piercer and warned everyone of the dangers post piercing. The white "ooze" is the dead skin shedding itself. Even after you take them out you will have this. My nipples will become very tender and I have this stuff coming out when I apply pressure to them. My concern is if my baby were to get this in her mouth, could it cause problems? I would think so, it is after all dead cells, bacterias, and oils from the skin. Has anyone had any similar issues after removing jewlery? How did you deal with it? I would hate for baby to get sick from it. Please help, :)

nchol

Asked by nchol at 3:34 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Health

• I would talk to your OB or Midwife
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Nipples are just often a lot more sensitive during pregnancy, even light clothing can feel painful sometimes! I can well imagine that piercings would act up.

AFA the shedding - I don't think it's a problem... and remember that in the breastmilk itself are antibacterial agents, as well as immunological properties that help protect the baby against anything you've been exposed to, and also there is a special oil secreted by the nipple that fights germs as well. Unless it is an active infection - which it doesn't sound like it is- then it should not be a health concern for the baby to nurse. With an active infection, or to be on the safe side about the shedding "ooze" you would need to speak to a knowledgeable lactation consultant (they aren't all the same) preferably one with an IBCLC certification. Most OBs and pediatricians are not terribly well-educated on breastfeeding matters - it's just not their realm of expertise.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• i took mine out a year or so before i became preg. Its kinda funny cuz the breast milk came out the holes, too. I dont see a big deal in the baby consuming the dead skin cells. the milk will flush it out. and it is only a small amount. if youre worried just remove the ick out before each feeding
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 8:18 PM on Mar. 8, 2010