Ok, how does not Baptising my son make me a bad mother??

I swear to the gods that the next person who says that to me is going to get an earful!
Why am I abusive for not baptising my child?? I am a Wiccan, indoctrination at such an early age is not required!

Kaelansmom

Asked by Kaelansmom at 3:40 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• ther is no point in babtising a child. babtism should be something someone chooses. its just a ceremony as a child.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:43 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Your not a bad mom. I believe a child should make their own choice when they are old enough. How could anyone say its abusive? That part just amazes me.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:48 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I dont see the point in it! Who cares what other people think! Ive heard from other people that Im a horrible mother for stupid little things too but who are they to judge? We all have our own opinions and we have our own way of doing things... if other people dont like it, then they should just butt out!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:48 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I agree about it being a choice when one is old enough.
    It's okay, those people just have nothing better to think about :)
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 3:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Your not a bad mom. I thought you guys had some thing similar for wiccan baby if so just say I did in my own religion. If nothing els maybe it will confuse them.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:22 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I think when it comes to religions as long as it does not hurt your child you should be able to do what feel is best. I'm a Christian who will do a baby dedication and she/he will choose to be baptised when they want to. But no one should be led to feel they are OR are not a bad mom for any of these choices. You shouldn't care about what other people think, just like if I baptised my child I wouldn't care what you think. When you truley believe in something, why would you?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• It doesn't make you a bad mother. When you baptise a child you are promising to raise that child in the faith. If you aren't going to do that then there isn't a reason to baptism them.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:11 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

Totally agree!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• a baptism(to a baby) is a ceremony showing that you will raise your child to be something and that that will be their way the rest of their days. It's to purify them. (I know, very irrelevant to most other religions, because aside from religions that came from Abraham, no other religion, that I am aware of, thinks we are born with sin).

some denominations will baptize at birth, the rest, will baptize when the child is old enough to make the choose him/herself. (which IMO is the way it should be).

No, you are not a bad mother. You are giving your child the opportunity to make his/her own choose in religion, therefore giving your child room to grow spiritually. That is actually VERY commendable.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:03 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• ooo...sounds like you've got some really pushy ppl in your life! unless you plan on raising him in that faith, there really is no point to baptizing him into it. he can always make the choice to be baptized when he's older and actually knows why he's doing it if he wants to. you're not a bad mom.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:37 AM on Mar. 7, 2010