My son has a temper!!!

I have a 3 yr old son who, at times has quite the temper! If he is playing and he gets hurt, he yells at the first person he sees and tells them he hates them! What the heck? He throws the worlds worst fits and is not social at all! Im worried for my little guy! I love him to pieces and want nothing but the best for him. When preschool comes around I dont want him to act this way, how will he make friends with this type of behavior? I want him to enjoy his life and be happy! I tell him he needs to use his words instead of hitting and screaming but its not seeming to work! Does anyone else have problems like these? Or any suggestions on how I can help my son? I just want him to be happy and social... What can I do to help him?

sxc_mom_of2

Asked by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:54 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• he sounds frustrated about something. does he have any language delays? that seems to be the most common cause of this type of outbursts. frustration due to not being able to fully express himself. course at 3 they dont have the best language skills either. but momma this doesnt sound out of bounds for normal 3 year old behaviour. though i wonder where he got the hate word from .

he MIGHT not be able to use words when he is very upset. that could be due to an issue ot be concerned about OR just that he is 3 and upset.

i would say talk to your pediatrician about your concerns and see what he has to say. also, how is your child around other kids?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:11 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• How long has this been going on? When my son's behavior suddenly changed, our doc said that boys can have testosterone surges sometimes that cause this kind of behavior. It could at least be part of the puzzle. Best of luck!
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 3:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Thanks for the responses! To me he seems like any other three year old, just really.... emotional! One minute he is HAPPY as heck, then the next minute, if he gets hurt he is MEAN AS EVER!!! He doesnt really have many friends... considering we know NOBODY with boys! He has an older sister who plays with him a lot, and when she has friends over he sometimes plays with them too, but often detaches himself from the crowd! He doesnt seem to have any language problems! He learns a lot from his sister and my husband and I too... He seems to try words out often just to see what kind of response he will get! He also is very contrary. If you say you like eggs, he will argue you and say you DONT like eggs! Ugh! Sometimes it drives me INSANE! When he is not throwing his huge horrible fits, he is the happiest boy alive! I dont know what to do about this! Around other kids he seems okay, but he always has this image in his head..
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• ... he always says... but you arent big as the house! Or... Im bigger than you! I dont know what he means by this... He will tell other kids that... or tell other kids that he is bigger than them... but only if he gets enough guts to go over to them and talk to them! He is quite the anti social little guy, which is odd cause my daughter is the total opposite! Odd! Maybe once he gets into preschool this summer things will change... I hope so! I just hate seeing my little man like this! I wish he were happy more often!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2010