Stepmoms: How would you have handled a question like this? Moms, would you respect a stepmom who said this?(more inside)

So my stepson is very perceptive for 7 years old. He knows me and his mom don't get along. As a matter of fact, we can't stand eachother-mostly because my husband made a mistake early in our relationship which led to the conception of him. Anyway, we got counseling, worked it out, go to church. Things are good. I have nothing against the little boy at ALL! I encouraged my husband to go for court-ordered visitation when we found out for sure that Little Man is his son. So Little Man last night asked me if I like his mommy. I tried my best to hide my nausea and said, "She raised you didn't she? I have a lot of respct for your mommy. She's a good woman for raising you." He seemed satisfied with that answer and then continued to tell me about his drawing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Two of my children are the product of my hubby's afair, also early in our marriage. While I detest thier mother who has absolutly nothing to do with them, I would never let on just how much I hate her, she gave birth to them and they are amazing kids so for that reason alone I do nothing that could put bad pictures of her in thier head. Thirteen years later they respect me for that, and have only recently asked me to be very homest with them...I have but it's hard and even now I try to sugar coat my answers. You did real good and should be proud of your answer.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 5:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• That was a good answer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• i thnk you answered it well. you dont want to lie, but you also dont want to be telling a child you dislike his mother either. nicely handled
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• If he was satisfied with your answer. That is all that matters. He will understand more when he gets older.

Answer by louise2 at 6:53 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I think that was a great answer!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:30 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I think your answer was perfect.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:04 AM on Mar. 7, 2010