Do people understand the difference of starting your own business vs. work at home job?

Do people really know the difference of owning their own business vs. having a work at home job? Are they aware there are generally start up cost to owning your own business? Do they understand that just because it cost does not mean it's necessarily a scam? (Of course there are scams so of course you do your homework and research). So if you are approached with information on an opportunity would you look it over first or just assume you know what it is and say NO? How many of us are guilty of thinking we know what something is and then later after finally seeing it realize we were totally wrong and hey, that makes sense, I wish I would of seen this sooner?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• starting up your own business is not always expensive. we had our own for a year. wasnt bad at all. so i am not sure why you also would think really that any of the moms on here would not understand the difference between the two .
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Why is it the people selling the businesses are always so mean? Unhappiness doesn't sell. Show tangible results if you have any.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I understand the difference. One big difference is work at home is just like any other job in that you get paid based on your work. They're paid either a salary, or by the item (such as, say, a freelance writer), or they earn a commission. A person who owns their own business has their entire revenue based off the profits of the business. They are the one assuming the risk if the business goes under, just as they keep all the profits if it is a success. Not everyone wants to assume that risk, and that's fine. Just as everyone isn't cut out to be a teacher, a Dr, in the military, etc, not everyone is cut out to own their own business. Nor should they be made to feel bad if it's not right for them. Though there are those who do the home based selling businesses that disagree, mainly because they often get a % based on the number of new consultants they sign up, so they have a vested interest.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:29 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I have to admit(to the person that just responded about them being mean). Sometimes you are right about them being mean...ha. I promise I am not mean, I just love to talk and share good ideas that I believe might help someone else prosper IF they want it to. Doesn't mean they are going to be interested and that's okay. Both parties, the one showing and the one listening, have to understand that it's only information. You can't make someone do something they aren't interested in and you wouldn't want someone like that involved in your business anyway. You either see it as an opportunity that is right for you or you don't, but I've found it does make a difference to LOOK and then make your own educated decision because you might really miss out on something that could make you a lot of money. You can always say NO. In fact, I would much rather someone tell me NO then nothing at all. I don't mind and am grateful that they looked.
    runlikethewind

Answer by runlikethewind at 9:34 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I do think that people that would like to work from home know the difference. I know when I was first looking I fell into a lot of scams and then you begin to think anyone who asks you to pay for anything is trying to scam you. I also at first wanted a job that I could do completely from home and I didn't want to sell anything. It took me several years to realize that I was not going to replace my income with what I was looking for. Then is when I opened up to other options and began to look at being an independent distributor. Some people like the security of a regular paycheck even if the income isn't very great and others are looking to either replace a large income or completely change their lifestyle. Either is wrong in their decision it is just want makes them happy.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• OP, here's the thing though, and I don't mean this in a mean way, but why should they look? Maybe they know themselves, and know their own interests, well enough to know that this isn't something for them, without listening to them. For example, I served in the military. I really enjoyed it, and I had a lot of good opportunities from it. Should you (or, even, say, all or any of my friends and family) have to sit there and look at all the opportunities and benefits from joining the military and consider it for themselves, because, after all, I'VE had a good experience? Should you have to try every product in the store, because if not, you might miss something? Should you date every guy that asks, because, he just might be the one?

Of course not. Well, this is the same thing. If they know they aren't interested (even if they were polite about it and, say, bought something from you before), then you shouldn't push it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:41 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I Have my own photography business, yes there are costs.. .ink, time, travel, new equipment, maintenance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Oh, and one other thought - again, I don't mean this mean, but instead of being upset because "they won't even look", you would appreciate that if they knew this wasn't something they were interested in, and that it wasn't something they were going to do, that they didn't waste your time (or theirs) looking at your stuff, just to then tell you no.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:46 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Um yeah, I know the difference. Unfortunately it's too difficult to weed out the scams from the real thing, because there are way too many scams that just want to take your money. I, personally, with 3 children and a home to tend to with one more child on the way, would love to make extra money, but don't have the time to set aside for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I think part of OP's aggravation about it is that everyday you see AT LEAST 5 posts here in this section titled "I'm looking for a legit work from home job"! First, they should look at the 20 exact same questions with the exact same replies BEFORE flooding it with the same darn question. And it's true many of them think there is some miracle website were you apply for a "job" get hired and start earning a paycheck from doing something at home.....it just doesn't exist.

Oh you may have some ladies post their websites here 10,000 times with their lists of "jobs" but the reality is they aren't the kind of things these posters are thinking of. They assume that there are businesses out there hiring strangers to answer phones or read and answer e-mails and it's easy to get hired and make money. It's NOT. A few may hire like that, but most people who work for a company, get a paycheck, and do the work from home......
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:50 AM on Mar. 7, 2010