Does a 17 yr old have to have permission to leave the country on a flight?

Or does it just require a passport?

I don't know, I've never flown... but I've been speaking with a young lady from overseas who is now orphaned with her 2 children, and she is afraid she would need permission to leave the country... I know it depends on her country's rules, but is it that way in the US?

matobe

Asked by matobe at 9:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i think you have to have permission becuse your a minor....but im not 100% sure
    Mother_18

Answer by Mother_18 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Oook, but if she's married and divorced, who gives her permission?
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:59 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• call or google her country's embassy in this country or in her country. Who knows maybe she's in somekind of a nice country that if she has a sponsor here she can come over, a church sponsoring her in someway -something like that. Good Luck!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• In the U.S. you can't just leave the country by yourself. If someone facilitates it they get in big trouble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Ok, so DH and I want to sponsor her. We want her to go to college here and get a good education. She's in Portugal, BTW. From what I gather she needs a passport and a visa. But I'm not sure about the age requirements...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:32 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I've traveled out of the country as a minor, both with and without my parents. I carried a notarized letter that my parents signed stating whose care I was to be in while out of the US. No one ever asked to see it though.
    rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I appreciate your help, ladies. Thank you, rebabeach2.

I wonder what the stipulation would be considering she's coming from a safehouse? Her parents married her off at 15, and she ran away from her husband... I just wonder who she would have take responsibility for her?
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:20 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I don't know about over seas, but here you need parental permission. Unless you know her be careful sounds fishy.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• are you sure it's not some type of scam?
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• She is a fellow cafe-Mom. and i am NOT sure it isn't a scam, but I will make sure that it is all done through my hands and not an agency's. I have faith in her, and it has been laid on my heart to do so. She did not ask for my help, I offered it.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2010