Homeschoolers are you fed up?

I am. I am really tired of being attacked for what I feel is the right decision for my family.
If you don't like homeschooling, don't do it. But please, all of you "naysayers" STOP telling your children homeschoolers are weird, different or incapable. Where do you think children learn to tease others? PARENTS. Parents are the namecallers, the bullies. LEAVE US ALONE.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree, it starts at home. That's why I, as a homeschooler, don't get in someone's face about their choice to send their child to a public or private school. I've seen homeschooling gone bad (I've even encouraged a friend's bad homeschooling situation be ended for the child's sake) and I've seen homeschooled kids excel in any setting. I've seen public schooling gone bad and I've seen public schools successes. My kids blend in very well with public schooled students when it comes to socializing; people are usually shocked when I tell them the kids are homeschooled, thanks to the stereotyping of homeschooled students..

I do get tired of the attacks on homeschooling in general.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• you will never get people to stop saying how they feel, right or wrong. you cannot control other people at all. but you can control YOU. you know what you are doing is right for your family. set your mind to STOP CARING about the misinformed opinions of others
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I don't normally care. It is just on this forum where I feel attacked. It pisses me off. My kids can't go to a public pool without someone commenting on homeschooling. I mean really, why is that??? MYOB.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I agree parents don't teach their kids to respect others as often as the kids should be taught. But it's also peer pressure aside from lack of parental teachings. Public school do not do enough to stop the beginning of bullying.

I know 4H has homeschooler's groups, look in there for socialization - plus they meet in the summer -there are huge 4H fairs every summer and camps too.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:41 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• THANK YOU! I am with you 100%!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I think it sucks that people are so misinformed and quick to criticize.
    One of the most disappointing things is seeing CafeMoms with whom I usually agree (and have respect for) spewing total B.S. about homeschooling.
    It's like, you make it a point to appear informed on other things, like religion and politics, but you are fine with showing your ignorance on this one?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I would not feel attacked if I where you, I would just feel sorry for some of these people that can not see what public schools are doing to their kids.

Be proud that you kids will grow up with a great education.

My daughter is always being told, they need to socializing with other kids. They do when are in sports, play groups and other home school kids.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• As a public school parent, I am fed up with homeschoolers attacking the PS system. Join the club.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I do not care how you educate your kids, but do not tell me not to voice my opinion because it doesn't accord with yours.
    Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, if you are so sure you are doing the right thing it shouldn't bother you.

Answer by older at 10:50 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• "As a public school parent, I am fed up with homeschoolers attacking the PS system. Join the club."

What? Why? Are you implying that public schools are perfect and have no room for improvement??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2010