need help with potty training my 2.5 year old

need help she dont want to be out of the diper yet and i want her potty trained before baby number 2 gets here at the end of aug.

1mama0213

Asked by 1mama0213 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If there's one thing I learned from potty training my daughter is that it won't happen if she doesn't want to do it. We tried 3 times before DD was finally ready to cooperate. What you need to do is find something that you can offer to make it to where she does want to pee in the potty. Stickers and charts and toys had nothing over M&M's for my daughter. Let her pick out the potty and the underwear. Good luck!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:56 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Potty training is about the CHILD'S readiness, not the parents. Wait until she is ready, and the process won't take long. If you keep pushing it, she may start to hate the potty altogether.
    Anonymous

• Pushing to potty train before she's ready as well as just before a new baby arrives is just asking for trouble.. Wait until she's ready and/or the baby has arrived and settled in.
    Anonymous

• Here's what worked for us: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1182517/3_Day_Potty_Training
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I think kids can be trained much earlier than they are on average these days. My girls were 19 and 18 months when they trained. The first had almost none of the "readiness" signs, the second had more, but it wasn't like she walked up to me and said "I'm ready to use the potty now." The method described in the journal above is good because it teaches your child what the potty's for and that it's simply what's expected. Consistency works wonders. As does not making the diapers an option. GL
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2010