how do feel about american burial services or practices?

Should it be more of a celebration or mourning? Does it bother you for people to take pictures of the body or take pics at a funeral period? Are they demeaning? Insensitive? Do you think its more for the family? Is it important to you? Is it necessary? Overrated? What do you think?

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 1:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think it should be a combination of celebration for the persons life lived and mourning for the persons life lost. It doesnt bother me if people take pictures however I wouldnt, its not the way I would want to remember the person. It is not just for the family. Other people may have loved that person too, and rightful want to say goodbye. Wouldnt you want that person to be surrounded by ones she loved and cared about.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• OP Here:

How does it help you mourn? Do you feel like you'd have closure even if you don't have a service? Thanks
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 1:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I like it to be a celebration. What gives me closure is seeing them in their resting place.. whether they be creamated and in a box, or buried in a cemetary... being able to visit them makes me feel better. Personally I think it is weird for people to view/take pictures of the body at a memorial service.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 1:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• who takes pictures at a funeral?? That's just plain strange & morbid!! (IMO)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I don't really understand the celebration part. That should happen while people are alive. When someone dies the last thing I want to do is party. As for taking pictures of the deceased, very inappropriate. There is no way to justify that.
    Anonymous

• My sons dad's funeral there was a photographer there at the request of the family, it was also video taped as was the memorial services. This was requested because my son was young at the time and it was done for him should he have any questions when he is older. It was done very descreate. No one knew the photographer was even there.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• typical american practices are a HORRIBLE waste of money. horrible
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I should add, as far as far as I no there are no pictures of him in the casket...but it is not like I would ask my ex MIL that either. No one was allowed to see him in the casket except for her. This brought big issues with my son as he didn't get to see his dad so he still asks if he was even in the casket and it has been 3 yrs.

Also we had a get together after to celebrate his life. We did the things and had all the food that he would have enjoyed.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I don't pay attention to how most people do funerals. I HATE traditional funerals. They make me ill. I avoid them if at all possible and refused to go to my fil's wake because I couldn't handle it (I did go to the funeral to keep an eye on the kids).
    In my mom's family they do it completely different. We have a memorial service with tons of pictures of the person's life and then we PARTY! We party and celebrate the life they lived and what a great person they were. We cry and laugh and remember the good times (and not so good times). It's a great bonding experience.
    When my mom died we all ended up back at my aunt's house. There was a keg and a tent outside and the new babies (my oldest was 8 1/2 weeks) were passed around. Everyone had a blast. My mom would have LOVED it.
    I wish someone would have taken pictures to remember it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• For me personally I would just want to be cremated and my ashes thrown someplace where my children would think is appropriate. My husband is of the same mindset, we aren't into burials or ceremonies, so even with cremation I wouldn't want hoopla over my departure whether it be mourning or celebration, lol.

Now, as far as traditionally I have been to many funerals. They tend to have family and very close friends and usually it is centered on the concept of both mourning the loss of and remembering what was of the person that died. I've never been to a 'happy' funeral where people smiled or talked in animated spirit over what prospects the now dead will have in their afterlife; it's usually a rather sad and for many personal moment of grief.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 3:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2010