is it possible to tear a healed episiotomy/ tear?

my son is gonna be 5 months next weekend, so ive been healed a while now, but im afraid everytime my fiance and i are intimate that i'll rip a lil bit where the stitches and stuff were.. cause i swear i feel it, but its probably just my mind playing games.. but is it possible?

cqjg61508

Asked by cqjg61508 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, I don't think you would tear it, but the scar tissue does have to stretch when you are intimate that could be what you're feeling. If that is the case than it will stop feeling like that soon.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I agree with Liz, I don't think it will tear, lthough it might feel like that for a while.
    With my first baby I had an episiotomy and took and entire year for me to not have pain during sex. :\ But I also have very sensitive skin, so I attribute to the longer healing pain to that.
    I would see about changing positions. We could not do doggy style for a LONG time. But we could do me on top as long as I was leaning forward. Also missionary was another good one for us. We just had to avoid any positions that put pressure on the scar. Good luck, it will get better with time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• The scar should be stronger than normal tissue. Think about how scars are thicker when they heal.

Actually it would be no big deal if you did rip a little. I've never heard of it happen. If you choose not to have an episiotomy you can rip a little and you can choose to not have stiches and just let it heal. I had an episiotomy with my first and with my second baby I had a small tear and the doctor said I could have it stiched or not. I chose not and it healed with no problems.

So, no worries. You might try having your partner massaging the area with oil and stretching it like midwives do during birth to stretch the opening. If he did this it may stretch you so it doesn't hurt. After a few times you may be stretched out.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2010