• In the Spotlight:

Anyone use or know someone who used the Bradley Method when giving birth?

Did you take classes, read the book, both? Did it work? Would you do it again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• We took the classes and I read the book when I was pregnant with my first baby. I really enjoyed the classes, but I don't think it really did much as far as my labor goes. My labor wasn't all that painful anyway, though.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Ditto the PP! ;-)
    It did come in VERY useful later on though...
    Bo matter what, it was truly very helpful to get that perspective and information!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I read everything I could find and when I went into labor I used the "relax and push" method. It worked quite well.;-)
    Anonymous

• We did! They were FANTASTIC. My hubby started out thinking he'd just pay for everything and hold my hand, but ended up being more involved than anyone else and I loved it...just what I needed. We had a successful homebirth with our first using the Bradley Method. Our midwives said we were a picture perfect couple for the Method and did extremely well. Labor was very long, but my husband was phenomenal and we got through everything just fine.

We recommend the classes to anyone who asks. My best friend and I are pregnant together again right now. She was at my daughter's birth and it changed her mind. She's planning her first homebirth this time and we're taking the Bradley classes a second time with her and her hubby. They start up in just a couple weeks actually. I'm so excited for the classes and for her homebirth.

I say take them. You won't regret it and your birth will be so wonderful. :D
    ACsLady

Answer by ACsLady at 2:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I wanted to add, in response to those who said the method didn't do much for them...the classes really are more about the husband. You will get all the know how about what happens during labor progression and can ask any questions you may have, but the focus is teaching your husband/coach how to read you and know what you need. He is the one you will lean on to have a successful natural birth. You learn to key into each other better and your husband learns how to help you cope. Of course labor can always take an unexpected turn and may throw you for a loop. For instance, I had back labor which neither of us was expecting. The water birth also didn't work out for us last time. He was able to adapt though and help me in every way I needed.

Your husband is your voice, your support, and everything you'll need...these classes are so great for helping him learn that.
    ACsLady

Answer by ACsLady at 3:02 PM on Mar. 7, 2010